Dell Business Return

My dad's company bought a Dell laptop from their Business outlet store, they recieved it yesterday and it was a 13.3" laptop but it was the correct one that they had bought but it was assumed that it was 15.6". I called Dell today and they started by saying that it could be returned but there would be a £20 collection and delivery fee which is fair enough then she went to setup the return and said that because the order has a business name in it then it cannot be returned.
I know the Distance Selling Regulations state that within 7 days the item can be returned but I believe this doesn't cover business purchases?

If the laptop does get returned they will be buying another one that is 15.6" and in a month or so another 3 or 4 but at this rate they won't be Dell's.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
My dad's company bought a Dell laptop from their Business outlet store, they recieved it yesterday and it was a 13.3" laptop but it was the correct one that they had bought but it was assumed that it was 15.6"
was the display not mentioned in the listing? as I've always found this listed when I've browsed the outlet.

Jenn

Novice Member
My dad's company bought a Dell laptop from their Business outlet store, they recieved it yesterday and it was a 13.3" laptop but it was the correct one that they had bought but it was assumed that it was 15.6". I called Dell today and they started by saying that it could be returned but there would be a £20 collection and delivery fee which is fair enough then she went to setup the return and said that because the order has a business name in it then it cannot be returned.
I know the Distance Selling Regulations state that within 7 days the item can be returned but I believe this doesn't cover business purchases?

If the laptop does get returned they will be buying another one that is 15.6" and in a month or so another 3 or 4 but at this rate they won't be Dell's.
She's right, businesses don't have the same rights as consumers.
Basically it's a business contract and your dad's company is bound by Dell's terms and conditions. Usually once it's bought, that's it unless of course it's faulty or they've been advised wrongly by Dell.

Some companies will allow business returns but charge a restocking fee.
It's at their discretion really.

was the display not mentioned in the listing? as I've always found this listed when I've browsed the outlet.
I believe it was shown on the listing as a 13.3", they appreatiate it was their mistake, but Dell won't allow them to return it even if it means they loose out on future business.

She's right, businesses don't have the same rights as consumers.
Basically it's a business contract and your dad's company is bound by Dell's terms and conditions. Usually once it's bought, that's it unless of course it's faulty or they've been advised wrongly by Dell.

Some companies will allow business returns but charge a restocking fee.
It's at their discretion really.
Thank for the information, reading on other forums it appears that since Dell outsourced their customer services to India they have been rubbish.

themilkman23

Jenn is right, as it's bought under a business account you are bound by their business terms and conditions.

Had this where I work when we bought an item then for whatever reason it wasn't needed, Dell said no way.

Whenever I need to speak to Dell I never do it over the phone, I use their online chat, just find it easier to be able to type out my precise question.

Jenn

Novice Member
By the way, if you were tempted to do so, buying stuff for your company on your personal credit card hoping that it will cover you under consumer regulations doesn't work. If the purchase is for business use it will be considered a business transaction regardless of what payment you used.

rousetafarian

Sorry to be blunt, but Dell potentially losing out on selling "3 or 4" laptops aint going to worry the Customer Services team for what is essentially a business to business transaction on their terms.

It seems like it was in this case a customer error not Dell's, so why would they wish to absorb the cost of returning it?

cobster666

Banned
Sorry to be blunt, but Dell potentially losing out on selling "3 or 4" laptops aint going to worry the Customer Services team for what is essentially a business to business transaction on their terms.

It seems like it was in this case a customer error not Dell's, so why would they wish to absorb the cost of returning it?
+1 on this

I made the same mistake when buying a couple of set-ups for my shop . I messed up the order so under there business terms i was stuck with them .

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom