1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell Axiom (€260) instead of a Pronto Pro (€856). Whats the catch??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by calibos, May 4, 2003.

1. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've been giving serious consideration to getting a pronto and so paid my first visit to this section of the forums. I then popped over to remote central. Now if I'm reading things correctly I can can have most if not all of the functionality including the colour touch screen of the Pronto Pro buy purchasing a Dell Axiom, some software and an ir extender for a quarter of the cost of a Pronto Pro!! Am I missing something. Why isn't everyone going the PDA route. It still works out cheaper than the monochrome pronto 950!!

Whats the catch???

2. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    To be honest, there isn't a catch - an Axim, TVRemote and PDA-IR extender pretty much do the job and although the TVRemote software has some issues, its basic functionality is there. The other advantage of course is that you can use the Axim for other stuff too. As time goes on, the software will improve and it will get better.

3. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Surely Philips have to readjust their pricing massively to counter the threat from the PDA onslaught:D :D

The only issues I read about were the button press issue. ie the 'soft buttons' activate on release rather than press meaning say if you had volume control on the touch screen, you would have to keep pressing it rather that holding it down. Apparently if you map volume control to a 'hard' button there is no such problem. (Would have thought everyone would want such a commonly used button as volume to be 'hard')

I downloaded pronto-edit last night and had a quick look. I think I'll start downloading some ccfs and start work on my own to keep me occupied until I scrape the cash together for the Axiom!!

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi Calibos

This is the exact route I have gone. Got my Axim last week now just waiting for the PDA-IR card as the current version does not work with the Axim. Expected in a week or so. The Axim has pros and cons over a dedicated remote as follows (these are my opinions only). I have owned Pronto 890, 3000 and Marantz 9200.

Pros (benefits of Axim over dedicated remote)

Better quality screen = better grpahics
    More colours
    Half the physical size (but screen only about 10% physically smaller but same resolution)
    Lithium ion rechargeable battery as standard
    Fantastic charging/docking station (X5 400MHz version)
    Can be used for many other things (I use mine with MyDigiGuide for TV and Sat listings on the remote. I also use mine with a CF Wi-Fi card for wireless net surfing, e-mail and active-syncing from anywhere in the house)
    Sound
    Uses Pronto Pro ccf files (with TVRemote s/w)
    Marantz 9200 style '4 way plus click' joypad/cursor
    MUCH CHEAPER

Cons

Ever so slightly smaller screen (same resolution so therefore better quality graphics)
    No press and hold functionality (at the moment) for on screen buttons
    Does not switch on following screen press (unless you set to only dim the screen not switch off)
    You may like it so much you end up using it for other things

This is my take on it anyway. HTH.

Oh, and BTW, it's AXIM not AXIOM :D

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The original problem of PDAs was always the distance of the IR beam (ie power), has this been addressed in these new PDAs?

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    No, but the PDA-IR extender (a CF card that fits in the CF slot whicvh is why the Axim is perfect - top mounted CF slot) increases the range to over 20m. More than enough for most HC enthusiasts :)

7. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do I read this right - you can use a pronto pro ccf in the Axim?

8. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Yes, via the TVRemote software (see PDAWin) - just a quick note, if you have a CF IR extender, you won't be able to use your wi-fi CF card because the Axim only has one CF slot. However, check out NetRemote, it supports ProntoPro CCFs via a TCP/IP (LAN) connection. You need to hookup an external IR emitter but it's a cool concept. Works in tandem with the Girder software.

I think that might be a better route for any PDA wi-fi users who want a remote.