Dell Axim X3i

Techno Freak

Standard Member
Reaction score
Well, just ordered an X3i.

It arrives on Wednesday.

I will keep anyone interested posted with how I get on setting it up.

I have purchased PDAwin TV remote 5.5 and I have downloaded Pronto Edit.

I have a week off next week to finish decorating and do the final touches in the cinema room - I dare say I will be spending the week creating CCF's.

Watch this space.....

P.S. This weeks other purchase is a Sony Ericsson T610. Very cool phone BTW. Does anyone know of any good sites for free downloads? Polyphonic ringtones and backgrounds etc?

Keep us posted on the Axim X3i as it could be a future purchase.
I'd like to know what the built in consumer irda is like on it.

Very, very, very impressed with the Axim......:smashin: :clap:

Not so impressed with Dell.....I ordered an X3i with built in Wi-Fi. They sent me an X3 - NO WI-FI! :suicide: :thumbsdow

I have to say though, anyone considering getting one of these as a remote - do it. I am well impressed.

I had already installed Microsoft Activesync on my PC before the Axim arrived. Then I installed TVRemote on the PC. Nothing happens untill you dock the Axim.

I plugged in the docking station to the PC and as soon as I dropped in the Axim - Activesync fired up and downloaded TVRemote.

Running TVR in standard mode it took about 3 minutes before I was controlling my TV. I searched for a Sky digital CCF and sent that to the Axim.

What a breeze......switched TVR to CCF mode and it worked perfect.

I am very impressed with the look and feel of the Axim. The IRDA works from everywhere in my living room ( 5m x 3m ).

Prontoedit will take a little mastering but I did manage to merge a TV page with the Sky digital page last night and have both working within a few minutes.

Just have to wait for my X3i now. The Indian lady in Dells ( presumably Indian call centre ) was convinced that the X3 was a monitor and I would have a new one within 7-12 days.

The really annoying part is that her computer showed that I had ordered an X3i and also showed that I had been sent the X3. If anyone had checked properly when they put the order together I would have had the correct model straight away.

Anyway, to summerize - JUST GET ONE!

BTW, does anyone know of a free web-based EPG? It would be really cool to have the TV listings on the Axim.

I will keep this thread up to date with my CCF building and any problems etc I come accross with TVRemote.

Thanks for the update, ive already got a pronto and have been thinking about getting an X3. You have just made my mind up, will give me something to do over XMAS! :D

Jeez, I think I should ask Dell for some commission.

Let me know how you guys get on.

BTW - prontoedit is a doddle once you get into it a little bit. I can't wait to properly sit down and start on my 'official' CCF.

I will keep this thread up-to-date with any probs I encounter.

P.S. Don't forget www.remotecentral.com for all you CCF download needs.

Goto the files section and click the top link - When you choose a CCF to download, make sure it is a PP next to it ( pronto pro ). The Marrantz files don't seem to work.

Also, set prontoedit to the USA colour version ( 6000 model ).

Have fun with your X3's - I know I am......

Some questions regarding the Axim.

I had been looking at getting a Pronto (until I read this thread). Now the cost of the Axim compared to the colour Pronto is obviously a lot cheaper but is there anything that I would need to be aware of?

1 - what is the response like compared to a Pronto?
2 - is there anything it can do?
3 - do I have to use the stylus or will finger do?
4 - do you think is is suitable for children (8 & 10) to use and can the remote SW be locked to screen so they can use any other SW?
5 - Any bugs that complicate its use (bugs in editing SW are not an issue)?
6 - Can I run the remote SW at the same time as other SW
7 - Anything else to be aware of?

Thanks
Duncs

Hi there,

I can't comment on the Axim V pronto as I have never used a pronto.

I can say that.......

I probably would not recommend it for children, I dont know how well it would respond to drops and sticky fingers etc.

Response time is supberb - not an issue.

A finger is fine - just make your buttons big enough to select. You only need a stylus to pick really small things or for the handwriring software. The screen is very sensitive and detects fingers no probs.

I dont know of anyway of locking the software - maybe try www.aximsite.com forum to see if there is a way of locking programs. I would be interested to find out.

You can run other software at the same time.

The only bug so far for me......It wont control my Cambridge Audio DAB radio, dont know why as It controls all of my other kit no probs.

In short - I am very pleased with mine but can't compare it to a pronto as I have never seen one. I don't think I would let the kids loose on it but if I was paying £800 for a ponto I DEFINATLY would'nt let the kids on that. Just get the cheapo 300mhz X3 at £150 ish I think, that way the kids can break 5 of them and you would still be £50 up!

I suppose the biggy is whether you can find a way of locking the software.

Hopes this helps any.

Thanks for the help and the link.

My kids are quite grown up (well more than me any way :) ) so I can put up with the occasional sticky fingers.

I'll have a look around for some SW to lock the application on screen. If not I could always try and write my own or just teach the kids how to make sure the app is running.

Looks like dell have another sale coming up via santa. :)

OOOhhhh I like the sound of another Dell sale, I had a quick look at their prices the other day and it put me off because ive seen them for a lot less. I will have to keep my eyes open, I just hope it isnt too soon or I may just have to buy one!

opps - I guess I should have phrased that

Looks like dell may have another purchase via santa :blush:

can someone tell me if you can connect a RF transmitter to a pda?

looks like im going to wait for the pronto tsu 7000 now

my hifi/dvd is being moved into another room (minimalist wife)

hello all
very interesting read
if i was to get a x3 what else would i need
ir extender maybe
any advice would be great
thanks
leigh

Hi, you definatly do noy need an IR extender with the X3.

All you need is the X3
a copy ov PDAwin's TVRemote
a copy of Pronto edit

thats it......

TVremote from www.pdawin.com
prontoedit from www.remotecentral.com

hope that helps.

I too would like to know if you can attach an RF device to it.

On the X3 can you press and hold the volume button (hard button) for continuous increase in volume. I know this was a problem with the X5 or is it a software problem?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom