1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dell axim on ebay

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by moviemonster, Aug 17, 2003.

1. moviemonster

moviemonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been looking on ebay for a decent price for an axim . before I decide to buy new . Been following a 300mhz model with no extra's for a few days to see if It's worth getting second hand .

Anyway It's now got 2 hours to go and it's now upto an astonishing £215 inc p&p . I can't beleave how stupid some people are this is only £175 brand new from dell . It seems I have no chance now to get one used on ebay so I'm going to get the 400mhz model from new .

2. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just be aware that when buying an Axim, make sure you get the fixes for the latest version of the PocketPC software.

With the most recent version there were performance issues that Dell had to fix.

Take a look at the following article for more information:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/68/32094.html

3. moviemonster

moviemonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Ant .

What you have advised I had'nt heard about so thanks for that .

I haven't purchased the axim at the moment as I want to use this mainly as a home cinema remote .

But the stumbling block seems to be the ir - extender from electric dog which seems impossible to get hold of at the moment .

So at the minute I,m gutted having spent the past week researching the axim to understand it better . and now I don't know if I should still order one .

Is the remote range really bad to use or would It be suffice for now until a Remote extender becomes available ?

Any help would be great !

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't have one myself but have been considering it for some time.

Without the ir extender my understanding is that the ir performance won't be good and would go so far to say probably unusable in a typical HC scenario. Exactly how bad I can't say, it might be worth checking some of the other threads relating to Axims on here.

The other option (albeit a more expensive one) is that some of the newer Ipaqs have upgraded ir emitters and are bundled with some rc software called Nevo.

Of course the downside with these is the cost.

5. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Messiah is your man for the Axim as a remote

6. kyle reece

kyle reece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know that this is a bit of a late post but dell now seem to have the axim
    available through their outlet at around£135.00 for the 300mhz model !!:)

7. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    Kyle, could you provide a link for the dall axim at this price please. I would buy one at this price.
    Moviemonster, I also connot believe how stupid some of the people on ebay are.

8. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    C'mon Kyle we're all waiting with baited breath for this "outlet" location. :rolleyes: I'm sure we'd all buy one at that price. :eek:

9. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  10. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    Might not be any point in buying a dell axim now as appartently electric dog has stoped production of the pda-ir.
    The good new is that laser.com are going to take over production of this item but may some time before we see it. Here what they are sending to customers that have the pda-ir on order from them.
    "We are in the process of negotiating with the product designer with a view to taking over the manufacturing of the PDA-ir units ourselves. We currently have all the necessary design and technical information for manufacturing but this will take some time to organise. It is estimated to take a further one to two months to commence production of the unit."