1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell 25% off LCD TV's!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by dowie, Apr 13, 2005.

1. dowie

dowie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dell are offering 25% off their 19" and 26" LCD DVI-HDCP TV's. I've just ordered the 19" to put in the bedroom for £463 inc. delivery and VAT. which I think is a great deal and £150 off the normal price. The info below is off the Dell website:-

Key Features
    The DellTM W1900 19" (48cm) LCD TV provides a terrific TV viewing experience. With 1280 x 768 resolution, it is optimised for DVD, today's standard TV signals, and tomorrow's High Definition broadcast standards. The DellTM W1900 19" (48cm) LCD TV also includes full picture-in-picture capabilities so you can work on your PC and watch TV at the same time2. Using the DellTM W1900 19" (48cm) LCD TV as a TV attached to a PC also allows new possibilities - such as leveraging large PC hard disk drives as storage space for TV recordings.

Key Benefits:New Look! Wide-aspect display and stylish appearance to integrate into the home or office
    Large viewing area - 19" (48cm) diagonal creates over 1000 sq cm (over 160 sq in) viewable area
    Display has 1280 x 768 resolution (16:9 capable) optimised for TV & DVD viewing and supports side by side viewing of two standard aspect (4:3) windows
    Excellent out of box experience: The TV is ready to use right out of the box and even includes all the cables you're likely to need, except a component cable
    An easy-to-use remote control is standard and includes a backlit numeric keypad for dim rooms

Performance:The DellTM W1900 19" (48cm) LCD TV also works well as a standalone TV. At only 168mm (less than 7") deep with the stand attached, the DellTM W1900 19" (48cm) LCD TV can be fit into snug places such as countertops or shelves often used in kitchens, bedrooms or dens. Alternatively, the stand can be easily removed to allow the DellTM W1900 19" (48cm) LCD TV to be mounted on a wall
    High 600:1 contrast ratio and 450 cd/m2 brightness
    DCDITM video processing technology by Faroudja for crisp, clear images, even with fast-paced action video
    Excellent audio experience — integrated 14-watt (total) stereo speakers with TruSurround XT virtual surround sound from SRSTM
    Full connectivity including Audio-Video inputs (TV in co-ax, SCART, 2xComponent, Composite, S-Video and 5xRCA Audio inputs) as well as PC inputs (VGA, DVI-HDCP and PC Audio)

Reliability:Under the Dell HALT (Highly Accelerated Life Testing) regimen, Dell LCD TVs are pushed well past specified tolerance limits for heat, cold, vibration, shocks and drops to ensure that they are more-than-durable enough for real-world conditions
    1 year limited warranty with Exchange Service3-with options to purchase up to 4 years Exchange Service

2. Trumper1

Trumper1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Do you work for Dell?

3. dowie

dowie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, but spent ages trying to find a decent screen with DVI-HDCP input so I thought I would share my find and the spec from DELL web site with others! :)

4. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, well...
    May I suggest you that once it arrives you accurately measure the horizontal and vertical picture size and verify that they really are 16:9 and not 15:9 as you would think (1280:768 is 15:9).

And once it has become clear the picture is really 15:9, find out if they use only 720 of the 768 vertical pixels, or they crop 1/16th off the picture to make 16:9 fit on the screen, or just distort the picture to cram a 16:9 picture on a 15:9 screen?

5. dowie

dowie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rob,

I completely agree with you I'm sure it will be 15:9. There does not seem to be many LCD's in my price range that are the true 16:9 ratio.

However, as I intend using it as a second tv for the bedroom, it will be fine for my current needs, and I find the 17" screens a bit small when I'm used to a 32" CRT and my home cinema projector on a 82" screen.

Dowie

6. Trumper1

Trumper1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think that this set has a 25ms response time which is a bit slow. As per some other threads Richer Sounds are selling the Hitachi 28LD5200 for £799 versus £1299ish in John Lewis. This set is 16ms response and has a DVI connector. Might be worth a thought.

7. Briggsyuk

Briggsyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, but thats almost double the price. i have a 25ms TFT for my computer and i have gotten used to it, 16ms is good but its not worth £400

8. dowie

dowie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a look on the US web site as below and the screen is 16.25" by 9.74" so it appears to be more like 15:9. Wether the set stretches the tv signal to fit I will wait and see.

Native Resolution
    1280 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Display Area
    16.25" x 9.74"

Dimension Display only (W X H x D)
    23.8" x 12.2" x 3.75"

Dimension Display & Stand (W X H x D)
    23.8" x 16.7" x 6.6"

Aspect Ratio
    16:9 capable

Digital TV Capability
    480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i