DELL 2407WFP - Need some info before buying

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by EagleX, Dec 20, 2006.

Tags:
  1. EagleX

EagleX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am about to buy the DELL 2407WFP and I need to know few things:
    1.I heard some stuff about the different panels, and that it has many problems. is it true, and what are the problems?
    2.can I connect it to a satellite reciver (Im not sure reciver is the right word),
    in a regular composite connection? (ADB3100)
    3.Is the monitor HD - if it is, is it 720p/1080i or 1080p?
    4.how big is it comparing to a standard 21 inch crt (what I used to work with..)

thanks for all the answers!

2. sinizterguy

sinizterguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I have a Dell 2407 (A02 version) used as a PC monitor. There is some very slight banding on it - and I cant see it unless I am hunting for it. Flawless performance for watching movies and HD trailers. The new A03 version is supposed to be banding free.

It has component, composite and s-video inputs in addition to the VGA and DVI. So you can connect anything you like to it.

The monitor definitely accepts 1080i signals. There have been conflicting reports with regards to 1080p over VGA and component. Sometimes not working - but I also read that turning up the sharpness or contrast to 30 makes this OK again.

The monitor is a 16:10 monitor rather than the tradition TVs 16:9. And all inputs will be stretched to th1 16:10 format rather than offering 1:1 pixel mapping and maintaining the 16:9 ratio. Again, I havent tried this personally, but as far as I have read most people dont notice the stretch as its quite small. It might be obvious in certain scenes, but in general does not effect viewing or gaming pleasure.

As to how big it is - it is HUGE. The first time I got it I had to physically move my head to take it all in. In time you get used to the size and it loses the WOW factor of the first few days. I cannot compare to a 22in CRT as I have never used one that big - but if you consider that the CRT might have a viewable area of about 20in, then this is significantly bigger.

All said, it was the best money I spent on my PC. I have only tested my freeview box with this screen for a few seconds, so cant really comment about quality of SD on this monitor or about inputs and their compatibility except what I have read on here and other forums.

Thats probably the longest post I have made here. Hope it helps.

3. RGP

RGP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Did you buy from Dell or ebay? sounds great btw, I want one also :cool:

4. sinizterguy

sinizterguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    From Dell. That amount of money wouldnt go anywhere near the devil. I also got the full 3-year warranty.

Got cashback via Quidco as well.

5. EagleX

EagleX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the info sinizterguy!.
    you realy helped me.
    btw, I was talking about a regular 21inch tv, not a monitor.