dell 2407fpw...the best???

sheree

Ex Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
im on the verge of going for a 2407fpw. is it all its cracked up to be.

im looking for the best quality picture with full hd at 24 inches.

what kinda panel is it?? is the same panel, put in any other monitors out there aswell???
any avforum users have this monitor and able to give me the personal take on it please.

ive done alot of research so ive come to the conclusion i have made a good choice.
upgrading from my 2005fpw, with the s-ips panel. up for sale now anyway in the trading section. will this upgrade be noticable in picture quality???????

....sorry for so many questions....

any input is very much appreciated.

cheers

What revision of the 2407 do you have in mind, (rev A04) was the last one?

How much are you planning to spend on a 2407, which I assume you are buying secondhand?

The Dell 2407WFP used the following panels: (widescreen) 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM240M2 / LTM240L2) / A-MVA (AUO M240UW01) panel.

I have just sold a 2407WFP (rev A04), had it for about 15 months and certainly a good monitor, however, if you are prepared to spend around £400, I would have a look at the HP LP2475w and NEC Multisync 24WMGX3, reviews can be found Here and Here

The 2407WFP is an old model, the latest one is the 2408WFP/2709W.

Or you could go for one of it's comtemporaries like the HP LP2475w or the NEC LCD2470WNX. You won't get the 24WMGX3 for close to £400 and if you want to spend £700 much then I'd look at NEC's 90 range (LCD2490WUXi, LCD2690WUXi and LCD2690WUXi2) as well.

That looks suspicious, everyone else has it at £650+

£458.85 and £549

Are these also suspicious?

I have the NEC Multisync 24WMGX3, and it was bought from OcUK for around £400, and there is certainly NOTHING wrong with it...many others have also bought the NEC 24WMGX3 form OcUK and are very pleased with it! ;)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
my 2407wfp should be arriving in a few days, only paying £150 2nd hand.

not sure what rev it is, its 2407wfpb if that makes a difference.
if i recieve the s-pva panel, would it look better than my 2005fpw??

not sure what rev it is

The revision that it is will either be on the outside of the (original) Dell box, or on a panel where the connection are on the back of the screen, or both...

its 2407wfpb if that makes a difference

Don't think there is any difference between the WFP and WFPB, they appear to be the same, however, somebody may be able to correct me if I'm wrong.

if i recieve the s-pva panel, would it look better than my 2005fpw?

Yes, I would think so, especially if you calibrate it, see Here

£458.85 and £549

Are these also suspicious?

Well Novatech are out of stock and the Amazon link is a marketplace seller so they're not exactly stunningly convincing but I get your point.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
i can take my brothers HP w2408h for very very cheap.
haven't really seen it since he lives out at uni.

ive seen pics and the aesthetics are beautiful with the HP monitor and i really like the glossy screen, if its gonna give me more vibrant colours, i think i may go for it, its not like im gonna use the monitor outside, so i doubt glare will be a problem.

any w2408h objections??

well the colour accuracy of the TN can be semi-sorted after reading the article on tftcentral, so im not too worried about that...the viewing angles may be a problem when i wanted to connect it to a ps3 or 360 and a few people are looking at different angles.

the extra vibrancy due to the lack of a matte surface will be real eye candy though :D :D
pc is in the attic so no window directly facing the screen where my desk is so no problem...

lets say if i can get the HP for HALF the price im paying for 2407wfp...doesnt seem to shabby in that case.

well the colour accuracy of the TN can be semi-sorted after reading the article on tftcentral, so im not too worried about that...the viewing angles may be a problem when i wanted to connect it to a ps3 or 360 and a few people are looking at different angles.

Do you have a link to the article? I think you're probably misinterpreting it, TN's flaws are inherant and can't be corrected.

The side to side viewing angles aren't that big an issue, everything remains fairly clear although there is a slight sickly yellow tint.

lets say if i can get the HP for HALF the price im paying for 2407wfp...doesnt seem to shabby in that case.

I had the same decision, a £200 24" B2403WS or a £400 higher quality monitor. I went for the cheaper one, but it does bother me at times and if it broke down I'd be wary of buying another cheap screen. You may find it doesn't bother you though.

Do you have a link to the article? I think you're probably misinterpreting it, TN's flaws are inherant and can't be corrected.

The side to side viewing angles aren't that big an issue, everything remains fairly clear although there is a slight sickly yellow tint.

I had the same decision, a £200 24" B2403WS or a £400 higher quality monitor. I went for the cheaper one, but it does bother me at times and if it broke down I'd be wary of buying another cheap screen. You may find it doesn't bother you though.

Monitor Calibration Guide

However, VA and TN Film panels are certainly capable nowadays of reaching excellent colour accuracy if calibrated correctly.

i believe colour depth is the inherent problem with TN, the colour accuracy can be mostly sorted. above is the relevant quote from the article.
i think it is partly true as i used to have a cheap as **** acer 22" with a TN panel. everything managed to look awful on it out of the box, adjusting the brightness and contrasted helped a little but still looked nasty. i then went through the lagom tests and adjusting the gamma for colours and black/white gradients. the results were phenomenal, couldnt have been happier with a TN panel purchase lol

Last edited:
i believe colour depth is the inherent problem with TN, the colour accuracy can be mostly sorted. above is the relevant quote from the article.

Hmm, TFT Central is usually better than that. I guess the artical was written when he was first starting up - or possibly before large TN panels were availible and hasn't been updated since.

It's true, as far as it goes. But it doesn't mention the affect of the TN's poor vertical viewing angles on colours. If you've been through the lagom.nl LCD test then you'll remember the viewing angle test with a plain purple colour that looks like a gradient on a TN. That's nothing to do with calibration - even badly calibrated screens show the same wrong colour all over. It's due to the viewing angle distortion.

So while the colours are accurate when measured with a colourimeter directly above the pixel they're not accurate for actual use.

If you've had a 22" TN before and haven't noticed it in actual use then I wouldn't worry about it though.

Hi,

The 2408wfp replaces the 2407wfp, This has a S-PVA Panel, Full HD 1080P and 110%2 Colour Gamut

PC Buy It

Alternativly Dell have a good 22" monitor out, the Dell 2209wa, This has a S-IPS Panel

PC Buy It

Many thanks Annika
PCBUYIT:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom