Question Dell 2209AW: showing "shadow" on screen when not displaying primary colour

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by oceanclub, Jul 15, 2015.

1. oceanclub

oceanclub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My Dell 2209WA now shows an irregular dark shadow on parts of the screen - but, only if the color(s) being displayed is not a primary colour.

So for example, if I view a JPEG consisting of a single primary colour (white, red 255/0/0, blue 0/0/255, green 0/255/0, etc) I don't see the shadow. But change that green to one slightly mixed with red, etc, and the shadow shows up).

Any idea from that what the cause is and how to resolve it?

P.

2. jassco

jassco
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,327
    could it be screen burn? do you leave the monitor on the same screen for long periods of time (even if a screensaver)? If it is screen burn, then there's nothing that you can do other than replace.

Other options are trying a different cable, playing about with colour settings or your graphics card could be on its way out

3. oceanclub

oceanclub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,

Am pretty sure it's not any kind of screen burn as the pattern is not regular; it doesn't match anything that could have been displayed.

I've had three GPUs (two separate, one onboard) since I originally got the issue so can definitely rule the graphics card out as an issue.

Tried resetting the monitor to factory settings, tried the "rubbing with microfiber" trick, even the "apply frozen food" trick! None worked. The fact that it's fine for primary colours seem to be a clue of what is wrong, but of what exactly I have no idea.

CHeers,

P.

4. jassco

jassco
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,327
    Could you try another screen? Even if it's just your tv via hdmi.