• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dell 20" monitor and S-Video - black and white pictures

J

jbatty

I am trying to connect my freeview (terrestial TV reciever) box to my DELL 2007WFP monitor. The freeview box has SCART out and the monitor has S-Video in. So I purchased a good quality SCART to S-Video cable. Unfortunately, the monitor only shows the pictures from the freeview box in black and white .
The same setup (i.e. the freeview box with the SCART to S-video cable) worked well in full colour when I connected it to my 3 year only Sony Wega TV.

What setting do i need to change on the monitor to obtain full colour? I have tried changing the resolution but to no avail.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

J

jbatty

Thanks for the reply.

The freeview box is a Thomson DTI 1000. The freeview box's software menu offers 2 output options. "PAL" and "RGB". It defaults to RGB. I have tried both options with the monitor but no luck.

However both options work with no significant difference when the box is connected to the TV via the SCART to S-video cable.

J

jbatty

I have tried using a Sony DVD player with a SCART out with the cable and then connect it to the Dell monitor. I am still getting Black & White pictures. This leads me to believe the problem is with a setting on the monitor.

SeanT

Distinguished Member
Neither the freeview box you mention nor any basic DVD player will output s-video via scart - the WEGA must be detecting composite over s-video signal and routing it appropriately - a basic svid-svid cable will solve this, if the fv box has svideo out

J

jbatty

Thanks for the response, SeanT. The freeview box does not have any output source apart from the SCART. From your observation it appears that I have to do one of two things to watch freeview of my Dell monitor.

1. Keep my current freeview box and get a SCART Out/Composite video in cable. The monitor also has Composite video input. Is it possible to determine whether my freeview box / basic dvd player will output composite video over SCART, before I buy the cable?

2. Get a freeview box/tuner that can output s-video out. Do you know any such box currently on available on the UK market?

A freeview card is not suitable as I need to be able to watch TV even when the PC is off.
Thanks

SeanT

Distinguished Member
The Sony VTX-800 (I think it's called) and the Netgem Iplayer both did iirc - my brothers each have them so can check again (guess who bought their freeview boxes!) - BT Vision has so I'm guessing that the majority of twin tuner pvrs do - and pretty much every freeview enabled DVD recorder will.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom