1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell 19"tft fuzzy text?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by spocktra, Jul 13, 2005.

1. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I have not long purchased a dell 19" tft direct from manufacturer.I have had a play around with the settings and tried the cleartype config from microsoft.Still i get fuzzy or hazy text in certain areas of the screen.Is this normal to expect from a fairly cheap screen or should i contact dell for help.If i enlarge the font size it obviously improves but it is horrible to browse with.Any comments greatly received.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    I don't know exactly how you are driving it, but the key to any flat panel display is to drive it at EXACTLY its native resolution. So, for example, it the monitor has a resolution of 1280 x1024 then this is how you should set your graphics card.

Whenever you change either resolution or refrsh rate to a new value for the first time, you should make the monitor run its auto setup routine so it can configure itself for that particular combination.

If you have set your graphics to the correct resolution and you still have problems, try using a different refresh rate. On an LCD a lower refresh rate will not induce any flickering. The handbook should tell you what the optimum resolution and refresh rate is.

3. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks for the reply,i have tried various refresh and resolution setting without any positive changed.The best way to describe what is happening is ,only at certain areas of the screen the writing or text is very blurred.I have only picked up on this because previously i have only owned a crt monitor.Is this likely to be a fault with the screen or something else.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Blurring only at various parts indicates that the clock and/or phase aren't set right. You must always make the monitor do its auto setup routine after any change. So, I re-iterate; find out what the recommended res and refresh settings are, set them, and then run auto setup (or whatever its called) from the monitor's own menu.

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Yeah, it sounds like you're using analog VGA. Don't your monitor and video card both have DVI sockets?

6. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I will check out both suggestions,many thanks.

7. Noo

Noo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Dell 19" 1905FP LCD and the text is absolutely crystal clear using an analogue connection or DVI. DVI is better, but I would never suggest the analogue provided "fuzzy text".

As mentioned above, it really sounds like you are not running the panel at its native resolution (almost certainly 1280 x 1024). Maybe there is a fault with the panel... can you connect it to another PC?

Pressing the menu button on my 1905FP shows the OSD which has the current resolution and frequency shown at the bottom.

Have fun
    :)

8. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yes stupidly plugged it in without proprley configuring the settings.Now set to max res with cleartype on its superb.Many thanks to all who replied. :)