1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delivery costs for a Plasma!!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by martyn54, Feb 28, 2003.

1. martyn54

martyn54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered a Pio 433HDE from Unbeatable and have been waiting 5 weeks for stock. Got a phone call today, it's in stock :)

Then they dropped the bombshell, "delivery will be £135 sir !!"
    Does that include fitting to the wall and setting it up, I ask.

"No, only delivery to your door, says she"

They've got to be joking, it's only about 80 miles away. Is this normal.

I felt like telling them to stuff it but thought better of it. I told them I would think about it over the weekend

How much did you pay for delivery?

2. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thats a con better hiring a van for £20 a day and getting it yourself

3. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I had a laugh with Unbeatable when getting quotes for my Panny plasma.
    The women on the order line insisted the expensive delivery charge was due to having to use "special vans".
    She went on to explain how plasmas have gas in them, and the drivers are trained do deal with "gas" leaks!.
    She also explained part of the delivery cost went towards "delivery insurance", due to the gas danger mentioned above!:laugh:

I told her if that was the case then i wouldn't want one above my fireplace in case the gas leaked.
    Realising she was losing a sale, she than stated that they were "very safe":confused:

To be fair, their price wasn't too bad and they did have them in stock. This was at the time 5 series panny when they were in very short supply etc.

I ended up buying from Sound & Vision, they have very good prices and a two man delivery team.
    But be warned S&Vs drivers are NOT trained to deal with Plasma gas leaks!!!:devil:

www.soundandvision.uk.com

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Nice one

Maybe I'll start advertising free plasma displays; but you must purchase our 'Special Delivery' package (which we dont tell you about at the time and the delivery charge is around £4K).

Joe

5. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Comet charged me £50 for LG delivery but that did include installation and set up. Just as well as no way on my own could i have set that beast up.

6. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try at ivojo the delivery was about £35 very good service from them

Boogie man

7. Nick23

Nick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL have free delivery and it only costs £25 to have them set it up which is quite a good deal if you want it mounted on the wall.

8. martyn54

martyn54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The charges you all have quoted are very reasonable including setting up.

The lady at Unbeatable tried to justify the cost " because they have to treat it very carefully and not let it fall on it's side as this would damage it beyond repair " Not as bad as the gas leaking one though :laugh:

I'm a bit reluctant to cancel it, not only because I've waited long enough for it to come into stock, but I got 1 years interest free credit and no repayment for a year.

Would it fit into the back of my MPV ( picasso )?

9. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I avoided Unbeatable for this charge and the longer wait. Webelectricals were a little highr on price for my HDE but the delivery was free and it turned up the next day because I said I did not need two men but I could help the driver to bring it in.

10. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you are getting 12 mths @0%, then just go with it. There always something that isn't perfect. You're paying about £100 over the odds, but, is the time and credit facility worth it ? If yes, proceed. If not, then shop around.

Will it fit into a MPV ? Would think so. I got a 42" in a Saab estate - rear seat/bottom part lifted, backs still upright...just slid it through the passenger door. Upright all the way home.

It almost went in the boot, but vertical height was about 10mm too much.

Rgds

Nick

PS The screen was vertical in the back of the Saab.

11. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    The plasma does have to be vertical - this is not an untrue statement by Ms. Unbeatable! Still doesn't justify the high delivery cost, though.

When mine was delivered last summer, the guy got to the last set of stairs (I live in a top-floor flat) and dumped the plasma box on the ground, complaining about how heavy it was! I was watching and almost screamed...... but he kept it vertical so it was OK.

I bought mine from Joe F and he said the same thing about the vertical transportation.

12. martyn54

martyn54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How come the pioneer manual tells you to lay the plasma down when putting the wall bracket on and shows a picture af two people carrying it horizontally using the wall mount :confused:

13. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    That's probably OK - but if it was horizontal in the back of a car or van, perhaps all that "shoogling about" would damage the screen in some way.

When I bought mine I was all set to lug it in the back of my car - until my dealer, Joe Fernand (who contributes regularly to this forum), advised against this. I took his word for it!

14. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    But I bet the manual tells you not to transport it like that -- the Panny manuals certainly say so in big bold letters.

StooMonster

15. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    It's a pity that only after transporting the plasma incorrectly would one open the box, read the manual and discover the error of one's ways!

16. martyn54

martyn54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would there not be large warning signs on the package box?

I haven't seen a box for a plasma so would like to know.

Is there a reason why it can't be transported on it's side. Would something mis-align after all that "shoogling about" ( great phrase ):laugh:

17. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    "shoogling about" - a bit of a giveaway to my location, perhaps! Now that you mention it, there were big arrows on the box.....

Not as good as the Arcam box which bears the legend "USELESS IF DROPPED" !

18. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I really can't remember the technical explanation for not transporting the plasma horizontally - something to do with the glass? Joe F would be the best person to answer that.

Whatever the case, when you're handling £4k of plasma screen you don't want to take any chances!

19. masterofimages

masterofimages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Actually, Pioneer put it in big letters on the box. They even have a tilt detector stuck on the box which tells you if the box has been laid flat at any point. Needless to say, mine had been tripped.

But what does that really tell you? As long as the screen has not been damaged, I don't really care if it has a little red warning dot on the box! I mean, how many delivery drivers and warehouse box shifters are going to care if it gets laid down flat for a few minutes? The most important thing is that they are stored and transported upright.

20. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello all

What the manufacturers are trying to avoid is a large plate of glass 'bouncing' around whilst in transit with a high potential for the glass to 'bottom' out on the rest of the innards of the display and the glass cracking.

Certainly Pioneer and Panasonic boxes are all marked with arrows and wording to KEEP UPRIGHT - though I've seen plenty that have travelled flat!

The bouncing glass is more of an issue (I'd say) on the 50" and larger displays but I'd still always 'transport' a display in the vertical position.

Also the packaging on the displays has absolutely no structural strength on the big flat sides so if your box is laid down and weight (a big foot or a smaller box) is applied to it then your glass is in danger.

For all of those looking at 'self transport' in the back of your car/4X4/hire van I'd also double check your vehicle/home/business insurance to ensure that you would be covered for replacing the plasma if you had a rear end shunt (and the display got totalled), dropped it or even had the car stolen with the display still in it!

Best regards

Joe