1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

delivered flat

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Playitloud, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Playitloud

Playitloud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello all,

I am a new Panasonic Viera 42" plasma owner and very pleased indeed but was told by my wife later in the evening that when the Comet delivery lorry was opened the TV had been transported on its side. When lifted off it was handled upright into our house.

Now as the TV is hooked up and producing an outstanding picture should I be worried?

I phoned Comet and complained but they said as it is unboxed they cannot change it BUT as I have a 3 year extended warranty don't worry because any problems will be fixed or TV exchanged.

As above the picture is superb, so I assume no damage done.

Anyway I suppose there is no way of telling if in its journey from manufacture to store to owner the TV has been handled correctly by everyone for all our Plasmas!

2. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Did it come on a pallet?

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The possible damage from transporting flat is busted glass. If it's in one piece, obviously it is, 99.999% chance they got away with it, it is fine.

4. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Are the couriers in the U.K very clumsy with things generally?

5. Johnnypanic

Johnnypanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    When I received mine from av-sales, it was also delivered by the courier laying flat on top of a load of other goods!

Once I'd checked the box and was sure it wasn't in a million pieces, I contacted av-sales, not to complain about their service (who could :)), but to ensure that they were aware that their delivery people were not correctly transporting the plasma.

It's been going great for three months, so the courier got away with it this time, but I think it is important, as you did, to inform the seller.

Johnnypanic

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  7. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    ok I dont think people realise why you cannot tilt plasmas here is why

Plasma screens cannot (As far as im aware) be damaged by being layed face down or face up, hell you can have them mouted this way for viewing if you want.

the ONLY reason they tell the couriers to NOT tilt them is so during transportation they dont get stacked ontop of each other or other things placed on top of them as this CAN and probably WILL damage the screens, trust me if you ever worked/been in a national distrubution centre where things are stored in the thousands, youd cringe at how things are treated

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's movement whilst flat that can damage them. The glass is awfully close to the electronics, and is quite thin and delicate, not to mention expensive. If it were to flex due to bumps etc, it could touch the other works inside, which would instantly shatter it.
    No doubt the possibility of other stuff penetrating the packaging caused by stacking would be bad news too.

9. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Here's why they should never be transported flat but always upright/vertical...

[​IMG]

Full thread here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179095&highlight=gutted

I really hope that buzzby has had his problems sorted. :(

As ever MAW is correct, plasma screens are extremely fragile in the horizontal position as opposed to the vertical position because of the relative forces that the glass is exposed to. Even moderate vibration can break them when horizontal let alone stacking other boxes on a flat screen.

Playitloud, if your screen is fine then there is no need to worry, looks like the couriers got away with it this time. :cool:

S.

10. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    hmmm yea i know what you mean by vibration, if its on the floor of a truck it has more surface area touching so will vibrate more, transporting them upright is the best way no denying that, but they wont be damaged if they are secured properly

as always with anything recieved by courier, look at how they take it out of the van, if they look like they dont give a monkeys at your end, they prob cared less at there end and inbetween, if they are taking care of it there is good chance its ok.

if your woried about ANYTHING when recieving an item, WRITE IT DOWN on the sheet you sign and keep a copy of it, if they wont let you write it down so it appears on both copies reject the goods, an inconvieniance for you but its best to cover your back

11. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    How many glazing firms do you know transport sheets of glass lying flat, as opposed to upright?

QED.

12. stefire27

stefire27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think TINY would if they have a glazing branch within the group, Theyl'd say it's the new generation of transportation!

13. Playitloud

Playitloud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all the replies. As a new Plasma owner its great to find answers so easily.

The good news then is the only damage is really glass breakage, and if all is in one piece then all is okay.

As mine is still in one piece I will now rest easy. Although I am glad I took the extended warranty.

The only thing I have noticed it that when the TV is turned off and if you watch reflections in the screen as you walk past the reflection wobbles/distort a small amount. Is this true of Plasma as they have a large screen area?

14. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Mine's the same, very slight wavey effect as opposed to a totally flat perfect reflection. I think it's because the Viera outermost layer is actually plastic and not glass. I guess one of the pro's can confirm this.

S.

15. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's plastic, to give a degree of protection. Otherwise it would be far too easy to break, especially with young children in the house.

16. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have the TH-50PHD6EX and it's plastic in the front and glass behind it.

Unfortunately my plasma was delivered and was smacked like the picture above, the driver was dragging the package in to my apartment, i didn't even know he had dragged until he rang on the entrance door and there he was.

But i don't think that was the problem but something heavy had dropped from the top at the bezel was warped of the high pressure from above.

It was cracked all over the glass.

When he dragged i was afraid something had happened as i asked him to wait 5 minutes so i could inspect the glass, he didn't have time and it wasn't his responsibility as they were the subcontractor for the company who shipped it he said to me.

He said i should contact the shipping company if there was something wrong which i did, now i have a new plasma on the way, this time on a pallet!!

I saw they first shipped it by some sea cargo company and then they transfered the plasma to a flight, so there was like 2 subcontractors involved.

The damage could have happened in the flight cargo....

Who knows, i am getting a new one now, hope it will get better when it's on a pallet this time.

Here are some pictures of my plasma cracked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. timc3

timc3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ouch!

18. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry to hear of your woes Likvid.

I guess that is a filtered glass panel in front of the plasma panel that is damaged, or is there damage to the plasma panel as well?

Hope your new one arrives unscathed.

19. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    my pwd6 has the wavey effect too
    Has anyone plugged in a broken glass plasma, does it work to any extent?
    (just curious)

20. bignige

bignige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What happens to the broken Plasma? Do you have to return it?

21. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes it's being returned as proof for the insurance company, they will probably just throw it afterwards they said, cost too much to repair it.

Such a waste of a fine product just because stupid people can't do their jobs right.

22. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I had a plasma delivered by John Lewis, and I'd like to mention that it was delivered vertically and the dudes treated it like it was a ming vase. Just thought I'd mention this to any potential JL buyers out there :)

23. timc3

timc3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am getting my PWD6 delivered today, heres hoping that its in one piece.

I can't wait though!

24. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That why it's so important it's delivered on a pallet, i guess yours wasn't delivered on a pallet?

25. timc3

timc3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yepp, mine had the red dot, but I just fired it up, plugged from pioneer 575 in (15pin to component lead) and its great! I can't see any problems.

Just got to dig up that thread on running it in now.

26. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just want to inform you all.

I received my new 50" replacement yesterday and it was delivered on a wooden pallette as it should have been at first.

The plasma is in excellent condition and the box was shiny new, there was a shockwave indicator from Panasonic on the box and it was white and not red meaning it has not been tilted during shipment.

I am very happy now.....

The picture is stunning from my Denon 3910 connected with YUV on the VGA-input.

Now i just need a nice stand to put it on as i am running it in the box now.....

27. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Steve P.

I have just taken delivery of a Panny 42PV500 and all is perfect.... But your pic gives me nightmares... I keep dreaming that mine was delivered broken....

What hope is there for me????

28. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to say the same about my PV500 from Dixons, the guys were very aware of what it was. It was transported upright and strapped to the side, and they took that in first, leaving the stand till after, for security reasons. They refused to leave it unattended in the truck. They handled the thing like the crown jewels bringing it in.

29. dbrad

dbrad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the only time when u should lay ya plasma flat is when screwing on the nuts for wall mounting the plasma screen, the manual tells you to lay it flat on a duvet or similar padded material