Deliding an 9900k

Skyfall74

I'm thinking a paying to get this done.

I have a few questions.

1) Does the rate at which the liquid metal degrades depend on how often/long the CPU is switched on? So, if a PC was only used for one hour per week, the liquid metal would degrade a lot slower than if getting used for 10 hours per day?

2) What happens if, after deliding, you never apply new liquid metal?

v2 API

Distinguished Member
I did my old 8700K and had great results, with an average drop of 15 degrees. However i was on a large custom loop and a decent board with good VRM's.
I would say only bother with the 9900K if you're OCing to the extreme and you have the best cooling you can afford. I hear the STIM removal is a royal PITA.

The liquid metal I applied was as good as the day I put it on from two years previously.

Just a word of warning, NEVER get liquid metal on the carpet, not even the tiniest amount. It cost me £700 for a new one after the wife tried to rub it off to no avail. I was seriously in the doghouse.

Skyfall74

Thanks for that start.

I should also throw into the mix that I'd like to change the lid to a copper one.

Skyfall74

Just bumping this thread.

Does anyone have definitive answers for my questions in OP?

Over 100 of you have read this thread.

Is deliding so new that we are ignorant of the long term effects?

JollyJamma

Just bumping this thread.

Does anyone have definitive answers for my questions in OP?

Over 100 of you have read this thread.

Is deliding so new that we are ignorant of the long term effects?

I used to delid CPUs in my spare time. I've probably done 20 or more. I ran a delidded CPU for ages and had no issues.

As far as I know, there's no degradation with liquid metal and it'll last years. I have had to reapply liquid metal as I hadn't applied enough to ensure proper contact but other than that, no issues.

I say go for it and as v2 API said, don't let it get on anything other than your CPU. It killed my EVGA 980 Ti.

Skyfall74

I used to delid CPUs in my spare time. I've probably done 20 or more. I ran a delidded CPU for ages and had no issues.

As far as I know, there's no degradation with liquid metal and it'll last years. I have had to reapply liquid metal as I hadn't applied enough to ensure proper contact but other than that, no issues.

I say go for it and as v2 API said, don't let it get on anything other than your CPU. It killed my EVGA 980 Ti.

Thanks for that info.

How long is "ages" ?

When you say you had to 'reapply liquid metal', was that relatively quickly after the first attempt or 'ages' later?

JollyJamma

Thanks for that info.

How long is "ages" ?

When you say you had to 'reapply liquid metal', was that relatively quickly after the first attempt or 'ages' later?
I sold a coffee lake system that I delidded to my neighbour in 2017 and as far as I know, it’s still going strong.

It was within a week- the temps were high on a couple cores so I opened it back up and applied more.

I think you’re overthink this. Liquid metal affects aluminium. The IHS on a cpu is nickel. You’ll be fine.

JollyJamma

One thing I will say is use nail polish to protect the CPU and seal the CPU back up using black car silicone.

I didn't have any issues with liquid metal escaping but you never know.

Skyfall74

What if you go through the deliding process with a processor but NOT actually install/use it for a year or two, or even three?

I think we all agree that a delidded CPU has a limited lifespan when comparing it to its non-delidded counterpart.

However; does this 'limited-life-span' only start ticking once you actually install and use the delidded processor?

Put another way; can a delidded processor be stored until required without concern of it, the liquid metal, the copper/nickel IHS deteriorating?

JollyJamma

What if you go through the deliding process with a processor but NOT actually install/use it for a year or two, or even three?

I think we all agree that a delidded CPU has a limited lifespan when comparing it to its non-delidded counterpart.

However; does this 'limited-life-span' only start ticking once you actually install and use the delidded processor?

Put another way; can a delidded processor be stored until required without concern of it, the liquid metal, the copper/nickel IHS deteriorating?
Given that you’re asking these questions, I would suggest that you don’t delid your cpu.

you don’t delid your CPU expecting it to last as long, you do it to reduce temps and to get a higher overclock.

I really think you should just leave it to people who accept the risk.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom