Delicious Library vs DVDpedia

kwijibo

Standard Member
Reaction score
have the trials for both these and they are both prety cool. However, can either (or both?) of these apps offer a way to search through your DVD library, then click on them so they start playing the linked movie on the harddrive? Basically, like an in depth Front Row, but with uncompressed DVD files

Anyone tried it and got that working?

I'd like to know if either can fully import a DVD Profiler database? I suppose I could run it in parallels but I'd prefer native if poss.

Can you run MCE with MyMovies plugin via parallels or VMware?

have the trials for both these and they are both prety cool. However, can either (or both?) of these apps offer a way to search through your DVD library, then click on them so they start playing the linked movie on the harddrive? Basically, like an in depth Front Row, but with uncompressed DVD files

Anyone tried it and got that working?
I have Delicious Library but use it only to log purchases. The Delicious support forum can be found on MACNN, if you post there expect about 72 hours before you get a reply. There's a new DL expected fairly soon, I don't think the current one has the desired functionality but the new??

DL is an Apple award winner but I have to say its no more than a simple database as far as I'm concerned.

DVDPedia can import a library from dvdprofiler.

1. export as .xml and copy to mac
2. copy images folder (large images, not thumbnails) eg "My Documents\DVD Profiler\Databases\Default\Images". to the same location on the mac
3. import to DVDpedia

This won't work with the trial version as I think they limit the number of entries. I transferred my library (over 1000 DVDs) across recently and it was rather painless. :thumbsup:

I was just looking at the bruji.com support forum and it looks like you can link VIDEO_TS folders to the DVDPedia entries as well and they will then playback using apple DVD player or VLC. You might want to check that forum for more info.

DVDPedia can import a library from dvdprofiler.

1. export as .xml and copy to mac
2. copy images folder (large images, not thumbnails) eg "My Documents\DVD Profiler\Databases\Default\Images". to the same location on the mac
3. import to DVDpedia

This won't work with the trial version as I think they limit the number of entries. I transferred my library (over 1000 DVDs) across recently and it was rather painless. :thumbsup:

doesn't work with DVD profiler V3 :/

and I can't move back to DVD profiler V2 as it can't import from xml.

Need to wait until DVDpedia updates its xml importing, or just stick to profiler in parallels...

Slightly off topic bit i was wondering if Delicious Library will hold hd-dvd and blu ray as well as dvd?

If so i will probably go ahead and get it.

If they can be looked up on Amazon etc I don't see why not.

They host their support forum on MacNN from memory you could ask there.

Slightly off topic bit i was wondering if Delicious Library will hold hd-dvd and blu ray as well as dvd?

If so i will probably go ahead and get it.

DVDPedia does for sure. Well actually I had a hard time to convince it Sunshine is not a Blueray disk ;).

I am confident Delicious will do, to.

been using dvdpedia for a while. supports bluray/hddvd just fine. Also the most recent update now imports location details from DVD profiler (saved me typing it all in!)

I also love the export to web features, means I can access my collection online while browsing HMV/movietyme etc.

Can't seem to work out the printed reports properly though. I had one just right in DVD profiler which I can't reproduce as it doesn't have an editor (relies on HTML editing). Might see if I can export to DVD profiler just for printed reports.

Can't seem to work out the printed reports properly though. .

Can't remember where I found it but there was a site with tons of different report templates. I downloaded a few of them for curiosity but never looked too much in the details.

I had the trial of delicous but decided for dvdpedia in the end. Just scanned in a few discs I had upstairs in my office and works more consistently right than delicious with the isight on my Macbook. I must admit that I also much prefer the clean interface instead of that silly bookcase replica but I guess that is very subjective....

The reporting tools are very strong and integration with spotlight is welcomed as well. If you want to checkout the integration with .Mac check out the following url for a few of my DVD's....

http://homepage.mac.com/familydejong/DVDs/

I love it...

DVDpedia sounds like a great little program. My collection's getting so large that I'm starting to forget what I've got. Is the bar code reader (using iSight) really that good? And is it worth paying the registration fee (not sure what it is in gbp)?

Depends on where your DVDs are from, mine are many regions and DL fails on most and I suspect DP would too. The scanning is very hit and miss too though I think that's down to the iSight more than anything else.

Most of my DVDs are R2 but I've got a few R1 and R0.

You'll probably be OK, I found the performance on non-US ones poor a couple of years back.

Mine are pretty good. The iSight scanning works well in a well lit room. I really like this programme...

you can configure DVDpedia to tell it where it searches if you have any DVDs from odd locations, but generally it finds them pretty well (although not as quickly as DVD profiler on the PC used to)

isight is fine once you get used to it, and having decent light in the room can help. Quicker than typing the name in if you're doing a batch, but if its just one or two discs I'll tend to type the titles in.

you can configure DVDpedia to tell it where it searches if you have any DVDs from odd locations, but generally it finds them pretty well (although not as quickly as DVD profiler on the PC used to)

isight is fine once you get used to it, and having decent light in the room can help. Quicker than typing the name in if you're doing a batch, but if its just one or two discs I'll tend to type the titles in.

Don't forget that you can also just type in the barcode number, that is very fast...

DVDpedia sounds like a great little program. My collection's getting so large that I'm starting to forget what I've got. Is the bar code reader (using iSight) really that good? And is it worth paying the registration fee (not sure what it is in gbp)?

I've been playing with the trial versions of both DVDpedia and Delicious Library over the last few days, and I can say that the iSight scanning in DVDpedia is far better than DL.

DVDpedia seems to just require a quick glance of the barcode and it's got it - sometimes it's done it so quick I didn't realise it! On the other hand, DL is very fussy - you have to hold the barcode much closer, and line it up perfectly.

At the moment DVDpedia is around £12 (although will probably have to add VAT on to that), whereas DL is just over double that. Saying that, DL lets you catalogue more than just DVD's, but then you could get some of the other pedia apps if you needed them.

I'm fairly certain I'll opt for DVDpedia, as:

1) Thats the only thing I have enough of to warrant cataloguing (except CD's, but they're all in iTunes now).
2) Half the price
3) Barcode scanning much better
4) Generally prefer the GUI better. Feels more intuitive and looks better

Douglas

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom