Delicious - ISight barcode scan not working?

Empgamer

Novice Member
I'm really starting to get a complex about technology now!!! I have just downloaded Deliciious and have been trying to get some DVDs scanned in using iSight. Well, I'm following the instructions, holding the damn boxes at various distances, hold them still, move them, whatever and, surprise surprise - zlich, nothing, squat. Is this a common problem on a Mac Book? I'm on 10.4.7 of Tiger. So much I was looking forward to with getting a Mac and thus far prescious little of it seems to bleedin' work!!!!!

Any help with this applications, before I uninstall and trash it and revert to flamin spreadsheet, much appreciated :mad:

jont

empgamer ... any reason why you haven't run the Apple software updater ... the latest version of Tiger is 10.4.10 ?

I'd let that run and then see what else works and doesn't ...

rgds

Jon

ahin4114

It's also worth noting that Delicious does a much better job of reading the bar codes is there's good ambient lighting. Poor lighting, or bright images on the screen reflecting off the the case have caused problems for me in the past.

Empgamer

Novice Member
Jon: Only because I'd seen some grief being written about one of the upgrages with network drop outs and such like. Figured as it was working I'd leave WELL alone for now, unless there are some vital aspects I'm issing with not upgrading.

ahin: I think that was it. I was sitting with my back to a window. Upon turning it round it scanned instantly. Now have 40 videos and 70 books on.

I now need to find a good money/accounts manager. Couple that I've looked at from threads here have duff links.

I was pleased to see that the shiny new book came with iLife 08 installed. It also had Office 04 trial but I think I may bin that and go with Neo. I do have a full set of Office 2003 for the PC but I'm not keen to put Windows or it's apps on here!!!!

Tenex

Novice Member
I'm really starting to get a complex about technology now!!! I have just downloaded Deliciious and have been trying to get some DVDs scanned in using iSight. Well, I'm following the instructions, holding the damn boxes at various distances, hold them still, move them, whatever and, surprise surprise - zlich, nothing, squat. Is this a common problem on a Mac Book? I'm on 10.4.7 of Tiger. So much I was looking forward to with getting a Mac and thus far prescious little of it seems to bleedin' work!!!!!

Any help with this applications, before I uninstall and trash it and revert to flamin spreadsheet, much appreciated :mad:

I have DL and the barcode scanning is very sensitive to a number of factors - mostly the ambient light level, but also the angle at which the item is held and whether it is reflecting light etc.

Oddly I find the best scanning technique is to *move* the item past the iSight at an angle and not slowly. I wouldn't get too excited with barcode scanning as assuming you have UK purchased content, I find I had to enter at least 50% of the books and DVDs manually as Amazon couldn't find them etc. I think the hit rate is much better with US content.

I spent an age getting content in and I have to say its a beautiful looking app and easy to use but at the end of the day its just a database and I think its really useful if you lend stuff, otherwise its no more than a list.

Also it does have some glaring limitations - I wanted to export my child's DVDs and books to put on a website and it can't, its all or nothing despite having an entry in the "owner" field.

Incidentally because many of the found content product images are poor I found myself scanning and importing around 25% of the images - but only because a wi-fi connected MF printer makes it easy (but time consuming) to do.

Empgamer

Novice Member
I think your thoughts are the same as mine. It's good but not outstanding. Thats said I have paid the $40 and gone for the ful version (otherwise you cannot scan in more than 25 items). Working in a lit office type room I have managed to scan in 70 odd books in about 20 mins or so and the iSight did most of them. I have a bout another 200 to go plus 200 CDs and it's something I'd always meant to do. It will take the chore out that so I'm happy to pay, it would cost me a lot more that £20 worth of my time to list all this manually, now I've got it working.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom