deleting duplicates ?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by grahamricho, Sep 11, 2007.

1. grahamricho

grahamricho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi Have a lot of duplicates I can find them , but then i have to delete each alternative one in the list is there a quick way to grap all duplicates , and leave one in the library and delete the rest ? thanks

2. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    I do it within Winamp. Problem is not all duplicates are duplicates, you have live, 12", acoustic or alternative versions. Then different bitrates, so you'll want to keep lossless, but delete lossy...or if they're both lossy delete lowest bitrate one.

Takes a long time, just go through a single artist then do another one later on..

In my collection of MP3 rips from single artist, roughly saved 400-1GB of duplicates.

3. TOM ALLEN

TOM ALLEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    That's been "Doin'" my head in for ages, I've got Millions......I too would love an answer:eek:

4. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    iTunes has a feature to only show duplicates, if that's any help. It's in one of the menus - can't remember where at the moment, and this machine doesn't have it installed...

5. kingcobbler

kingcobbler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    There are lots of tools for mac users :thumbsdow. I to had this issue when I moved my music from a HDD to a NAS. I told iTues where the data was then a couple of hours later it tells me my collection has doubled.

Very frustrating.

You'll need to dig around the net for the download as I'm as work but I use a tool called iTLU (iTunes Library Updater) which looks after all the housekeeping of your iTunes library.

Hope that helps.

Using this tool it also can perform an update to update just the track info as I have spend loads of time adding missing ID tags.

6. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I use Directory Opus for tasks like this.

Search for duplicates, compare folders, edit file properties, view hex etc. Very powerfull. It's a free trial for 30 days then about AUD $85 (around 35 quid) to use after that. Seems like a lot but the amount of time it has saved me!