Deleting an old disk structure

Griff85

Established Member
Reaction score
When this PC got re-booted 2 years ago it kept the old disk structure in the C Drive, Can i delete? can i ****, it keeps saying access denied, really doing my head in because its a massive folder and i dont really need it on here

anyway round this?

if you put the disk into another pc as a slave then you shoudl have the rights to delete whatever you like.

Is this an XP Pro install on the drive? Its probably a permissions issue but need more info.

Cheers

Its just basically a folder in my C Drive titled "My old Disk Structure -- 07-09-25 0656PM"
Its the old disk structure from before it was re-booted, i dont need it anymore but it wont let me delete it, it says access is denied each time!

and ye windows xp

this is what i get
Untitled-1.jpg

I dont think he wants to format his Pc guys? Unless I am missing something?

EDIt can you confirm this is your C: drive right? If so I am guessing a repair installation of windows was carried out and your left with this folder?

If this is your C: drive then follow what I have said below

If not and your happy to lose all data on the drive then format it if that easier but the below should work.

I would do what I mentioned and put it into another pc that has windows xp but not xp home and delete the folder.

The other option is to reboot in safemode and try deleting it that way under the administrator account.

But dont format anything!

Cheers

Last edited:
Ye its in my C Drive

No i dont need to format anything, i just simply need to get rid of an old folder

How do i reboot in safe mode?

restart the pc and keep hitting F8 you will see a selection menu.

select safe mode> when windows loads choose an admin account or your own account> select yes to the big text box> do what you need to do> reboot.

Dont worry about the appearance of this mode, it loads a basic set of drivers so looks like windows 98

If you select just safe mode you will not have web access but for this exercise you wont need it.

Cheers

Last edited:
Try right click, properties, security and add 'everyone' with full access, then advanced, tick the bottom 2 boxes and apply. then ok.

You should find you can now delete this folder, however if your logged in as that user you won't be able to !

Chris

Safe Mode hasnt worked!
I dont have the security option on properties

I would suggest getting making bootdisk - a CD (or on USB stick)
load off the bootdisk and delete the folder in Dos.
If thats fails use a linux boot disk as this will bypass any old access rights that might be stopping you. You can get these disks by googling them for download.

bootdisk.com has some.

I would suggest getting making bootdisk - a CD (or on USB stick)
load off the bootdisk and delete the folder in Dos.
If thats fails use a linux boot disk as this will bypass any old access rights that might be stopping you. You can get these disks by googling them for download.

bootdisk.com has some.
5 hours that linux is gonna take on my connection, dunno if its worth it lol

Can you rename the parent folder to something less exotic with 8 or less characters? Then try and delete it from the command line in safe mode.

I could give it a go, but ill need a guidance on what to do in command prompt

Can I just confirm a few things

who are you logged in as?

from a previous answer I guess you are using windows XP HOME seeing as you right click and get no security tab?

Do you have access to another PC?

cheers

Last edited:
Can I just confirm a few things

who are you logged in as?

from a previous answer I guess you are using windows XP HOME seeing as you right click and get no security tab?

Do you have access to another PC?

cheers
Im logged in as Liam, i am the only administrator on this pc

I dont have access to another pc unfortunatley

Ok can you go into this problem folder and delete bulk items I.E. grab some of he top folders and bin them.

Can you also go into on the tool bar at the top of the folder.

Tools>folder options>View and select show hidden files and folders.

Then try and delete everything that is not greyed out (means it was hidden)

You SHOULD be able to delete all the folders inside then we can look at what you cannot delete.

None of your mates/family have a Pc you can put your drive into for 5 minutes?

Would make this much easier:rolleyes:

All the user specified folders i cant even get into, nevermind try n delete them

why would it be easier? will see if i can try borrow a mates laptop

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom