Deleted files on external HD

gabi_cavaller

Novice Member
Hi,

Big mistake today.

I keep all my photos on an external drive.

I was tidying up old folders as you do, and I dragged a sub folder into the root, both happen to be called "pictures".

On windows, it asks you to replace or not, if you replace it merges all the info, so on OSX I thought that would be the case, obviously not, it replaced the small folder of rubbish pics for the folder that had everything in it.

As I didn't "delete" them, they are not in the trash can.

I hit undo, the pictures folder went back to the sub folder, but the original pictures folder is no longer there.

Am I screwed?

Oh dear, the old Replace chestnut annoying when software actually does what it states in the dialogue ;-) But yes I've been there once, and never again :)

Couple of options
1. Time Machine - Yes it is really good at restores as well, if you did make backups of precious photos than that will be your friend...
2. If you didn't make backups, and not many do on external drives...Than they could be in iPhoto or the likes if you didn't reference them...Good reason to reference from here on...
3. If none of the above, then your luck will be with data rescue tools. Whatever you do, don't read/write anything on that disk until you have used this tool as OSX will use the free space immediately and the more you do the slimmer your changes are to recover...

Bob

Novice Member
Oh dear, the old Replace chestnut annoying when software actually does what it states in the dialogue
It is an old chestnut but "Overwrite" would be a better description.

It's not unreasonable to expect that when you replace something the old item will be thrown into the trash........

It is an old chestnut but "Overwrite" would be a better description.

It's not unreasonable to expect that when you replace something the old item will be thrown into the trash........
It wouldn't be a better description, but yet is would be reasonable to expect the item to be thrown in the trash..

So have you actually got any ideas for recovery besides semantics :cool:

Bob

Novice Member
It wouldn't be a better description, but yet is would be reasonable to expect the item to be thrown in the trash..

So have you actually got any ideas for recovery besides semantics :cool:
Other than Data rescue tools or semantics no :D

But I still think overwrite would explain to Mac converts more accurately what is about to happen :thumbsup:

gabi_cavaller

Novice Member
Bloody annoying that's what the problem is :)

Please note, the information was on the external drive and I did not "delete" it, therefore it doesn't go in the trash can.

Nevertheless, diskwarrior was unable to help and the other OSX tools, I ended up using Windows 7 and a tool called ParetoLogic Data Recovery.

I have been at this all day and my god, the stuff it's found on this drive!! Anyhow, got the pic folder I found back, it's not all there I don't think, however, let's hope it's about 80%.

The tool is still going so we will see how it get's on.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for everyone who replied on here.

Gabi

James.1

Novice Member
I've just done a quick test here to see this problem for myself, and while I expect replace to mean just that, I find it really strange that Undo doesn't bring back the folder that was replaced, yet it moves back the replacing folder to its original location.

Although when we look in to exactly what is happening we see two things, first, a folder is deleted, second, a folder is moved. Undo is only moving the folder back to where is was and not providing a second Undo to bring back the replaced folder, although it couldn't anyway because it never went into the Trash. I've never noticed this before, but it's not exactly intuitive. I'd expect the replaced folder to be moved to the trash, or at least be available when using Undo.

Last edited:

gabi_cavaller

Novice Member
Thanks.

This were exactly my thoughts, but you have summarised them much better than I would have.

As you can see, this is really annoying and could cause many issues.

Gabi.

I've just done a quick test here to see this problem for myself, and while I expect replace to mean just that, I find it really strange that Undo doesn't bring back the folder that was replaced, yet it moves back the replacing folder to its original location.

Although when we look in to exactly what is happening we see two things, first, a folder is deleted, second, a folder is moved. Undo is only moving the folder back to where is was and not providing a second Undo to bring back the replaced folder, although it couldn't anyway because it never went into the Trash. I've never noticed this before, but it's not exactly intuitive. I'd expect the replaced folder to be moved to the trash, or at least be available when using Undo.

I agree it you would expect the original folder and enclosed files to be in the trash....But for some reason this has as long as I have used Apple been the case...Dating back to over two decades...

ourjon

Novice Member
The key issue here really is Back Up. We all take it for granted that our data will be here forever but its so important to back up our data to ensure that is the case. The more important the data, the more variety of back ups are required.

Consider breakdown, damage, loss or fire. Your data could be destroyed tomorrow! Does it matter to you? Id it does ensure robust bak up practices!

This has prompted me to tidy up my back ups and make sure I have the most recent updates saved!

Glad you managed to find most of your pics though :)

gabi_cavaller

Novice Member
Indeed.

The issue was I had just reformated my HD on the mac, I had moved all over to my freecom drive which is normally what I back up on things.

I did purchase a NVX NAS, but it's so bloody loud that it's not being used and sat in the corner.

need to setup the time machine again, I should have just bought an ATC but wanted something that was going to last for a while and had a RAID, plus, the r/w speeds are far supirior on the NVX than most other NAS's for that price range.

Anyhow, yap, backups are crucial :smashin:

The key issue here really is Back Up. We all take it for granted that our data will be here forever but its so important to back up our data to ensure that is the case. The more important the data, the more variety of back ups are required.

Consider breakdown, damage, loss or fire. Your data could be destroyed tomorrow! Does it matter to you? Id it does ensure robust bak up practices!

This has prompted me to tidy up my back ups and make sure I have the most recent updates saved!

Glad you managed to find most of your pics though :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom