Delayed sound on surround sound when connected to Sky HD

pakstank

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help?

I get delayed sound from my surround sound system when I am watching Sky tv. It does not happen when I am watching DVD's etc so I am assuming it is the connection between my tv and Sky HD box.

currently I have two HDMI leads coming from the TV and one is connected the Sky HD box and the other HDMI lead is connected to the Sony surround system. I have a optical cable connecting the Sky box to the surround sound system.

The HDMI leads are set into the wall when I recently renovated the property so I am not able to run any new cables e.g. optical from the TV to the Sky box.

It there a way of connecting the three devices with my current cabling so I don't get the delayed (1second approx.) sound when watching Sky and having the surround sound system on.

Just to mention it is not "echo" sound as I have the sound on the TV switched off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paresh

Does your all in one system have a lip sync function or HDMI input? This is often a problem will all in one systems compared to an AVR in that you can not adjust for delays in sound. You could try turning off any video processing your TV may be doing as this can cause a delay in the video which can cause sound issues.
Also check if there is a sound delay function in the Sky box menu system. I seem to remember there used to be one but could be wrong.

Also check if there is a sound delay function in the Sky box menu system. I seem to remember there used to be one but could be wrong.

It's still there in the menu, (Settings, Audio, Digital audio delay) but I'm not sure it would help in this case as the OP mentions that the sound is "delayed" i.e. late... and the delay option on the sky box can only delay, not advance.

Pakstank, is the sound definitely "late", rather than "early", as this is quite unusual;
it's far more common for the sound to be ahead of the picture.

Also, what's the model number of your Sony system?

Last edited:
Audio lagging video is very strange and a 1 second delay is huge - typically most will allow you to delay the audio by upto 200ms (0.2 seconds).

Something strange going on here.

It 'sounds' like you are keeping the TV speaker volume above Zero when you also have the Surround system on.

Turn the TV Volume to Zero.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom