Delay times - What's the measure?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jonathan James, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Jonathan James

Jonathan James
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been playing with my delay settings again and I have a question.

When we measure the distances from speaker to the listening position Left/Centre/Right are easy to do.

When I get to the rear effects I'm a little stumped.

Two of my rear speakers (rear right & rear centre) are up high on the wall behind my listening position. The sofa is up against the same wall. The distance from my head (in the listening position) to the wall is all of 30 cm. The actual distances to the speakers are more like 180 cms and 145cms. Which distance should I select?

The rear left is on another wall to my left above the other sofa. Its up high but is at least 180 cms in front on my primary listening position. How should I program this?

I have a calibrated sound pressure meeter and have the system set to the correct levels for the primary listing position.

It's the delay time that I need help with adjusting. I've not tried but should I go for a negative 180 cm measurement for the rear right effects speaker?

Your guidance and suggestions gratefully received.

JJ

2. Bruce1310

Bruce1310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Johnathan

The simple answer is the measurement should be from the speaker to your listening position, ie. 180cm, etc....you are setting the delay so that the appropriate sounds reach your ears at the same time from all speakers so to give you a clearly defined soundstage.

Bruce

3. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,917
    In case you don't know. Set the delay times/distances before balancing the channel levels. :)

4. Jonathan James

Jonathan James
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to both replies.

I carefully remeasured the Linnea distances to each speaker and left the rear left at 0 cms as it actually sits 182 cms in front on my main position.

I didn't think to re balance the channels after changing the delay times. I'll give this a go tomorrow night - when the wife is out.

I found one other quirk with the Denon set up. The selection of Large or Small speaker? The monitor audio S8's are huge so I'm trying the Large setting. The Centre is also large. The rear effects are small in comparison so I've left them as they are.

The LFE or LFE + Main setting makes a huge difference. I like the deeper / warmer sound of the LFE + Main.

I think that's about it for now.

Who knows why we do these things? I've not tinkered about with the settings for more than a year.

Cheers,

JJ