1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delay Time / Distance query

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by stevefish69, Jan 18, 2005.

1. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Could anyone please give me a little help here.

I've just changed amp to a Denon AVC-A11SR and am in the process of setting up delay times/Distances.

The Front speakers/Sub are easy enough to set because they are all at ear height and in line.

The surrounds & Surround Back ar mounted high up pointing slightly down. When measuring the distances, is it best to enter the distance from sweet spot to below the speaker position, or measure diagonal to the actual speaker grill.

Unfortunately, this is the only position that the surround & rears can go because of room dimentions. Surround backs are also only about 1 ft behind the seating position which again i know is not ideal.

I had them set up on my old 10SE which sounded great, but sold the amp without writing down the details :thumbsdow

Can anyone throw light on the subject please.

Steve

2. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi Steve,

I would think that measuring from the grille to the seating position (on the diagonal) is correct.
    I set up my DENON AVR2805 with it's auto calibration,and the measurements were EXACTLY the same as when I later measured them with a tape.
    My side surrounds are about 3 foot above my head when seated and a metre away, the surround backs are 2 foot above and half a metre away, and sound great.

Hope this helps,I'm sure someone will be able to confim/deny my findings.

All the best,

TTFN

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The delay is to compensate for the distance the sound has to travel and therefore it certainly should be done on the diagonal as this represents the distance travelled

4. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Thanks a million both of you.

I set the distances up like this, and had a listed to the Echo game on House of Flying Daggers.

Awsome

Steve