1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delay - Lip Sync

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nheather, Dec 4, 2004.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,555
    I've just ordered a Plasma Panel, and am decided on a surround sound set up. It's going to be the low-end of the market and I'm interested in the Yamaha 350 because it appears to have a delay function to help with lip sync. However, having read the Yamaha manual in detail I'm not sure this is really doing what I think. Here is what it says:

DELAY
    Function: This parameter changes the apparent distance from the source sound by adjusting the delay between thedirect sound and the first reflection heard by the listener.

Description: The smaller the value, the closer the sound source seems to the listener. The larger the value, the farther
    it seems. For a small room, set to a small value. For a large room, set to a large value.

Control range: 1 – 99 msec

What do you guys think - will this help lip sync or is it something else?

Note that the amp also has all the usual parameters for setting up the distances of the speakers which I presume sets up the delays for 5.1 purposes.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    That's something different to the Lip-Sync Audio Delay that you need and appears to be a DSP effect.

3. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Jase is right. If your model is RX-V350, then it won't have the lip-sync audio delay facility. What you're referring to is the speaker distance setup in the set menu to ensure uniform arrival of sound at the listening position from the various channels. It's not specifically set to correct audio delay although having said that, since the delay as you say is up to 99ms, then it might be worthwhile trying to play around with the delay settings to see if your audio matches with your video images. You could position all your speakers to the same distance from your listening position to ensure uniformity, and then delay the audio to match the video (that is if lip-sync is an issue with your plasma). Other models such as the Yamaha DSP-AX750 definitely has a feature to correct lip-sync, with audio delay of up to 160ms.

Regards,
    reservoir51

4. Bstar

Bstar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to Yamaha's web site the RXV-450 has the Audio Delay for Adjusting Lip-Sync (0–160 ms) that you are after.