1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delay/Lip Sync Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nheather, Oct 17, 2004.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,448
    I'm about to buy a cinema setup. Its going to be pretty moderate and on a budget so I'm looking at the lower end with an emphasis on adequate performance for price and ease of use for the wife and children.

I was initailly looking at the Pioneer 402 because of its RGB SCART switching. I know this is not a brilliant amplifier but for ease of operation I thought it had everything.

All was happy until one day someone mentioned lip sync problems on Plasmas. I'm not talking about the sporadic problems introduced by the source (Sky, BBC etc) but an 'always there' processing delay.

From what I've read some say it is about 1 or 2 frames (40mS ?) whilst other say it is about 100mS.

Currently I'm considering the Yamaha 350 as a budget box which appears to have a selectable delay of 1-99 mS.

(i) Does this sound right
    (ii) How bad is the Plasma induced delay to the everyday user.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Some people don't appear bothered by lip sync , but it irritates the hell out of me.

To be honest the thing that I found introduced the most noticeable delay for me was not the plasma but placing a seperate deinterlacer/scaler in the chain between source & plasma. Even with this the delay for me was about 40-60ms so 99ms I would imagine should be enough.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Too :censored: right! I always notice it on my plasma but many friends & family have not even seen it when I point it out to them. You may be lucky and not notice it, just don't go looking for it if you don't. I think I set my delay to around 30ms until adding a video processor. It's now at around 50ms and I'm still trying to get a delay I am happy with :rolleyes:

Mark.