1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deinterlacing Chipsets

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by LA Pugilist, Mar 28, 2002.

1. LA Pugilist

LA Pugilist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have on order a Fujitsu PDS-4242 Plasma monitor which, according to the product literature, comes with advanced line doubling circuitry (which it calls an "Advanced Video Movement" digital processor that "virtually eliminates motion artifacts and flicker, improves vertical resolution and reproduces natural movement with ease"). Does this mean I can dispense with a progressive scan DVD player to feed it? How good is Fujitsu deinterlacing circuitry? How much is lost if deinterlacing is done by the TV from the analog signal supplied by the DVD rather than the DVD processing a raw digital signal? Is deinterlacing compromised if the logic does not have access to the MPEG2 flags? Thanks for the advice.

2. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still awaiting info from Fujitsu regarding the capabilities of their de-interlacing for plasma displays...will post again if I get anything from them.

The sophistication of the de-interlacing is the most important issue and whether or not the process is kept all digital or an analogue stage is introduced is of secondary importance although it will have an effect on picture quality, one can only tell how significant, if at all noticable, by experimentation.

Of course at this stage, unless someone else here is familiar with the de-interlacer Fujitsu use, you cannot make a preliminary judgement on what would be the best and most economical combination of equipment. Only by testing the DVD player of choice with the 4242 can you decide.

De-interlacing is more likely to be compromised if it relies upon the flags within the MPEG video data, such flags are not reliable enough for de-interlacing and are best ignored.