Deinterlacing/chip layout of Mini Youview Box/Humax db-t2200

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Mallett94, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Mallett94

Mallett94
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi,

We have in the living room the LG 37LV550T tv. This came out in 2011 and was pretty decent for the time. We recently added a BT TV package to our broadband subscription, and this came with the BT Mini Youview box, or basically the Humax db-t2200.

Now, I know that in the past, the Humax box deocders have decoded at 1080i, and then required a seperate deinterlacing chip to deinterlace to 1080p, before then bein passed to the TV.

I would like to know if this particular Humax box does the same. The reason being that the general consencus is that decent TV's do a much better job of deinterlacing images than stb's.

My final question would be even though this TV is from 2011, is it still likely that the deinterlacing results from the TV will be better than those from the Youview box? I want to know because since we got the box it has been set to 1080p, however in the UK almost all HD tv is broadcast as 1080i, expecially the BT Sport channels, so I want to have the optimal set up.

If the TV will do a better job at deinterlacing then i will set the output of the box to 1080i, if the Youview box will bbe better at deiunterlacing then I will set the output to 1080p.

Thanks in advance.

2. Nathan Cooke

Nathan Cooke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Well the obvious thing to do is try both and see which is best. If you can't tell the difference it doesn't matter.

3. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    The eye sees all.

4. Mallett94

Mallett94
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Appease me. Mostly where I look I see thing generally saying that all stb's have quite cheap/poor deinterlacing chips, and to let the actual TV do the deinterlacing.

Do you think that would be relevant to this boxfrom 2014, even thought the LG Tv which cost around £500 at the time is 2011?

5. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    Only your own eyes could tell that. Just do what you think looks best.

6. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,002
    Just how do you expect anyone to answer your question? Try it. If you can't see any difference then chose either because neither is better. If you can see a difference then chose the better one. Simples. Why worry about the theoretical quality of the chips if you can see no difference?