1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deinterlacing by projector or DVD?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by joeclif, Mar 17, 2005.

1. joeclif

joeclif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

New to here and soaking up everything! :eek:

I am about to buy an IN focus 4805 and my question is this,
    Should the projector do the progressive scan job or should i purchase a new DVD player?

Advise on a budget prog scan universal player appreciated!!!

2. r-06264

r-06264

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Apparently the deinterlacer in the 4805 is top class. Same as the 7205 I remember reading somewhere, so (edit) NO need to buy a new DVD Player.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I find little difference between the Pio 575 doing the prog scan or the TX100. In the end I've left it to the 575 which is a fine player and for 100 quid it's a steal. No HDMI/DVI though...PJ

4. Jack's Dad

Jack's Dad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the 4805 with a Pioneer 575 and find I get the best picture by feeding the pj with a deinterlaced signal.
    This is the opposite of what I expected but this combination gives a superb picture.
    Interestingly, the 4805 manual does talk about using a deinterlaced input, which kind of suggests not letting the pj do the job. To be honest, I'm a little confused by the whole thing - but there you go.

5. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Joeclif

The answer to your question is a resounding maybe! :)

It depends on which DVD player(s) you are talking about, perhaps the type of material you watch (ie NTSC or PAL, film or video etc etc) and so on, as well as plain old personal preference (regardless of the deinterlacing capabilities, some combinations can produce visibly different pictures between the two modes of operation - that is, brightness/contrast differences, colour differences etc).

6. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I would say that unless you have a DVD player with a better than the top class Faroudja progressive scanner ( £600 +) then let the 4805 do the de-interlacing.

7. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    That all depends - certainly when using a component video connection, a DVD player can do the de-interlacing straight from the disc, in the digital domain, whereas the projector cannot.
    Also, there are several players around the £150-£200 mark, which AFAIK have the same Faroudja de-interlacer as the 4805, there's no need to spend £600 just for that!
    The Samsung 945 springs to mind.

While Faroudja have a good reputation here, that doesn't mean that no-one else makes equally good or better de-interlacers (which aren't afflicted with the macro-blocking issue either, as some implementations of Faroudja are). It can also depend on what it's de-interlacing too - the much vaunted DCDi for instance, is only used in video mode - in film mode (assuming the de-interlacer doesn't keep dropping into video mode of course, which some do :) ), it's an irrelevance. Some deinterlacers may be great with NTSC film sourced material for instance, but poor with the PAL equivalent, and so on.

All in all, it's impossible to give a definitive answer to the question

Should the projector do the progressive scan job or should i purchase a new DVD player

because it depends on so many different variables!

8. dan4805

dan4805
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all ,my first post so here goes...

had my 4805 2 weeks now and my dvd picture via Componant progressive mode from my Panasonic DMR E85h is fantastic...But my SKY+ Picture connected to the DVD Player by scart and sent via the componant leads was Poor.

Read how the 4805 did a better job of de-interlacing and switched off progressive mode on my Panny dmr 85. My Dvd pictures were better, additional menu controls were made available for tweaking picture...but best of all my SKY+ Picture is now Great
    .. watched the England v N.Ireland match , just awesome.

so my experience has me saying...let the 4805 de-interlace the signal,this also enables all menu facilities for sharpness,croma.luma etc etc

Danny the PJ convert