1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deinterlacers

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by scott686868, Dec 18, 2003.

1. scott686868

scott686868

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When phoning up about the Sanyo Z1 the shop mentioned it might be worth getting a deinterlacer, do i really need one as the one they mentioned was £300
    Also do they need carefull setting up cause, as a beginner and thicko i dont know what to do apart from plug in a few wires and watch a film with Stella Artois................

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Some pj scalers are better than others - if you see jaggy edges, it's probably down to a poor scaler.

A Progressive DVD player, or one with some on board processing like DCDi etc may improve that, but quite often an external scaler can make a big difference. The cheaper scalers don't always do a brilliant jop with some films, so you do get what you pay for quite often. The best player/scaler for the money is an HTPC which can be built for as little as £200, but they're not as esy to use as a standalone DVD player.

As for setting up, using Avia or similar to make sure white and black levels are correct is always a good move. Having the brightness too high can show up mpg artefacts, so setting the levels will help rduce them.

Gary.

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Gary when you say HTPC for £200, what spec?

Assuming you go for single use ie no applications other than DVD player. Surely the cost of a graphics card that would allow 1:1 pixel mapping, sound efficient cooling methods would double that price easily? Ive avoided HTPC because Ive always assumed its going to be more like £800, but if its £200 Id be interested

4. scott686868

scott686868

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sooo, rather than spending say £200 on a dvd then another £300 on a deinterlacer, would i not be better getting a good quality DVD player with progressive scan, would that do the job?

Also, Gary, what is the Feedback Destroyer for, i've read a little about it and what i make out its for feedback noise for bands and singers ect ect, just curious...........

Could you have a look at my other thread, Sanyo PLVZ1 as i'm asking about connections there, cheers

5. scott686868

scott686868

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, Ok, What is Avia :confused:

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Avia is a DVD with "how to callibrate" videos and the appropriate callibration screens/sounds for audio and video. In the classifieds some one sells them fairly cheap.

7. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might also want to consider Digital Video Essentials (another calibration disc) which you can now get in PAL flavour from Amazon, Play etc.

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Scott,

a progressive player may do the job - some have Faroudja scaling built in (Philips 963 for example, but the early ones had problems), so may fit the bill. They cost around £300 though. It would be interesting to see what others are doing, and what results they're getting.

The Feedback destroyer can also be used as a parametric equaliser - in this case, it can boost or reduce certyain frequencies going to you sub-woofer via the lfe phono cable.

If you have a sond meter and a test disk, you can see how the sub frequencies vary in your room. By using the BFD, you can make the frequencies flat. If you get bass boom or rattles, it can tame them, or remove them. A friend used it to remove 42hz as that was the frequency his radiator rattled at. :)

Unless you're having problems, you probably won't need it. I just got it out of curiosity really, though it did make a little difference to some slightly 'thick' bass I had in the bass midrange.

HTH

Gary.

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Nunew,

using a Radeon 7000 with vga and dvi will allow 1:1 pixel mapping. If you have a nonstandard res pj, the Powerstrip will be needed. The 7000s can be had for under £30. The best Radeon at the moment is the 9600 non pro model, as it has better mpg deblocking in hardware mode. That costs around £80 IIRC.

The Radeons are designed with DVD plauback in mind, which is why they're the card of choice.

I've a basic rundown of a cheap spec elsewhere on the htpc forum, so have a look there for more info.

Gary.

10. scott686868

scott686868

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Philips 963 sounds like a good idea, and £300 sounds ok if i don't need a seperate deinterlacer..............
    Is it just the Philips or do you know of any other makes?

All i want is for a Z1 to perform as good as possible!!!!!!!!!

Going to make my own screen with 1.2 gain material, we'll i'll give it a try anyway

11. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers gary

12. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Try your existing player to get you up and running, but in the mean time, do a bit more research. There are a few other players out there with processing built in, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. A simple but god progressive player may be all you need - the Harmon Kardon DVD25 was a good machine, but the new Sony's seem to get good reviews (730 and 930).

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Gary.