1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

degaussing Sanyo TV/degaussing wand/mission 733i speakers

Discussion in 'TVs' started by jon_mendel, Apr 28, 2005.

1. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've got a Sanyo 28" widescreen with a green smudge on the picture. Looks like it's caused by a magnet, but the only obvious magnetic source is some mission 733i speakers (unshielded, but I've got it about 70cm away from my speakers, and with the speakers pushed a bit forward of the TV). The guy I got the TV off had the TV about the same distance from some big unshielded b&ws without problems. I have degaussed TV and moved it about as far as possible from my speakers, while leaving it and the speakers in position; I guess the next step would be to stick it in a corner well away from any speakers and see if it'll sort itself out there, but it needs to go back in front of my sofa at some point... So, let me know if you've got any more suggestions as something strange seems to be going on [insert tearing hair out emoticon here]

I've also considered using a degaussing wand to make sure TV cabinet, metal window railings, light fittings, walls etc are demagnetised. I'm reluctant to spend £40 on something that may not work, though...any opinions on if this could fix matters (and if anyone in Newcastle has a wand they could lend me, that'd be VERY nice of them :D )

Cheers,

Jon

2. tvdoc

tvdoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    use a soldering type gun whith set swich on place gun near pacha area swich on gun an move slolwey away

3. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers for the reply, but could you clarify slightly - when you say a 'soldering type gun' do you mean a degaussing gun or something else? And where could I buy/hire one from?

Jon

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,937
    He means (decoding his spelling here :D ) a quick-heat type soldering gun with a built-in transformer which produces a large electro-magnetic field.
    A bit drastic IMHO probably cheaper just to phone a Tv engineer and ask for an estimate for manually degaussing the crt.
    Do you switch the set off by the mains switch overnight or leave the set in standby?

5. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers. I switch off the TV at the mains switch, and using a compass it seems clear its degauss circuit is working, but it does seem like there's some magnetic field in the area that is causing problems for the screen

My cunning plan now is - I've unplugged the TV and stuck in a corner of the room, miles away from any speakers. I'll leave it 8 hours, then turn it on to give it a chance to degauss properly. Will then put it back in place (it'll need to go back between my speakers) leave it turned off for half an hour or so, then turn it on again so it degausses in that location. Hopefully that works, failing which I guess it's a case of going for a degaussing wand/gun of some sort. You'd *hope* there'd be somewhere you could hire one from (I gather they're not hard to use) but haven't been able to find anywhere.

Let me know if there's anything else I should try - I don't really want to have to get an engineer in...

Jon

6. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Doh - TV degausses itself OK in the corner but problem returns when I put it back between speakers :( Thanks for the suggestions, anyway. The TV's now up for sale in the classified ads here...

Jon

7. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Move the speaker further away from the tv perheps.

8. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the suggestion, but already tried that. Short of knocking down a (load-bearing) wall, I've moved the speakers as far from the TV as I can - so I think I will have to sell the TV :(

Jon