1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Degauss my 25" sony

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Dunkwho, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi gang ...

whilst i sit here trying to figure out which 32" to buy (and how im gonna pay for it) i thought i'd have a go at getting rid of alittle red staining thats started to appear in the top right of my picture (red staining when a solid blue image is shown). Its only a smallish patch and shrinks back off the screen after a few seconds of the set being on, im hoping that this is just my set needing a degauss but i cant find an option in my menus (an even-checked-the-manual shocker too!).

any thoughts or ideas, its a 25f1u for reference - about 4-5 years old ...

ta

Dunkwho

2. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunkwho

I have the 29" version of this set in the bedroom.

I believe the set degausses each time it is switched on from cold (not standby).

Do you hear a banging sound a few seconds after the set is switched on? That's the set degaussing.

If not - try unplugging the set for half an hour - plug back in and switch on.

Having said this - you may not have a this type of problem. If the problem shrinks away after a few seconds it just sounds to me like the set is warming up before showing an optimum picture. Maybe just a result of the set being 4-5 years old.

I presume the problem does not appear during normal viewing?

Cheers

Laurel

3. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can confirm what Laurel says...

The problem you have is tipickle if you always switch off by remote control..... it simply goes into standby and never gets to be deguised..... eventualy outside magnetic forces begin to ironise the phosfers on the screen face resulting in these patches of impurity.

Switching off! on the set itself, or on the wall socket, will trigger the deguise operation when you switch it on again.....
    you may have to do this a number of times before it has the desired effect.... but do it every few hours not every few minutes switching on and off over a period of minutes is not good for your TV.

regards JPC

4. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    thanks, will try that this evening. i thought it might be something like that and tried switching it off with the power button (presumably a hard power off to the transformers which = mains unplugging) but had only left it a few seconds before switching it back on - no noticeable degauss "bang", i'll try it off for a longer period later and might even go as far as unplugging it (surely not!) :)

Dunkwho