1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DefTech Prosub100tl. Is it any good?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by benkenobi, Feb 4, 2005.

1. benkenobi

benkenobi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am planning to buy the deftech prosub100tl without auditioning it as i have not been able to locate a dealer close by. however going by the rave reviews it has got and the fact that it falls in my price range i wanted to find out more before buying 'blindly'.
    would have liked to go for a HSU sub but there does'nt seem to be any dealers in India.
    please give me your views on this sub.
    my listening is mostly music(80%) and i listen to any and every genre(country,classical,rock,metal,pop...).

thanks

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Unfortunately Def Tech have a very low profile in UK and I doubt whether you will find many (if anyone) here who has heard one.

Hsu subs are sold directly from the manufacturer in USA which is why you won't have come across any dealers in India. Again you won't find many in UK who have heard one but they do have a large following on some American forums.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    Don't know where you are, but Audio Images in Sheffield are DefTech stockists. I'm auditioning there, tomorrow, with a mate.

I have one of their earlier models (ProSub 80, I think). Whilst I can't really criticise it, it does creak a bit when stressed. Maybe it's its age......

4. Des Flurane

Des Flurane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Benkenobi,
    I have a DefTech prosub100tl and as my first ever sub find it very acceptable. Small footprint and no complaints as to the sound output. But as I usually listen at -20db it really isn't stressed!
    So if you listen at less than reference levels, have a small room and are short of cash, a good buy.
    If none of the above applies spend double the money on a SVS PB10-isd.
    Personally after 6 months I am going to buy a SVS PB12-plus/2, as like womens chests you can never have big enough!.
    Des.

5. benkenobi

benkenobi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could'nt agree with you more Des.
    Hey LV could you post your thoughts after you audition.
    des,
    my room is not acoustically sound. but it is big 14X22 ft.
    the problem for me is that i am getting the Sub from Dubai. i am being offered the Velodyne CHT-12 for around 400$ while the DefTech is being offered for 320$. the dilema is that the Velodyne weighs twice as much as the Deftech and will put pressure on my freight allotment.
    the other options are JBL-150P,250p and Infinity PS10 or PS12. they are all within my budget. so, i'd love to hear your thoughts on these.
    thanks

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    Well, we bought the set, 4+1+1. All I can say is, there was absolutely nothing wrong with what we heard, for GBP700 ish.

7. benkenobi

benkenobi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks LV.
    i'm going to the JBL showroom today. be auditioning the e150p and e250p.
    the fact that the deftech and jbl250p are being offered at around GBP 165 is already sounding sweet. keep, me posted on how the sub responds during and after break-in.
    see ya

8. lotones

lotones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I have a DefTech 100tl and I'm quite pleased with it. Like benkenobi my primary concern is that it sound "right" with music (all genres: dub, electronica, all kinds of rock, acoustic, classical). I did a lot of research on the web to find a sub that would best match my electrostatic mains and what I came up with was that the relatively smaller 10" driver and relatively high 250 watts would be potentially more efficient and accurate musically than your typical 12-15" home theater sub. So far (two years and counting...) I have absolutely no complaints about this sub musically, and it has more than enough theatrical rumble to put me in the movie.

One suggestion though: for awhile I used the budget subwoofer cable Monster labels as "THX". Skip it. I recently got around to upgrading the cable to the Monster Interlink 300 SW and it absolutely increased the soundstage and imaging of my entire system. I'm not saying that Monster's the only choice, but don't skimp on the LFE cable. Best $40 bucks I've spent all year.

peace

9. benkenobi

benkenobi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's reassuaring to know lotones as i bought the definitive tech 100tl. i got it for 285$.
    will only get my hands on it on the 21st. i bought vivanco subwoofer cables.
    paid around 20$.
    bought a NAD320BEE in the process with VDH interconnects.