1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defragmenting Disks and other questions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by photoman, Dec 16, 2004.

1. photoman

photoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently trying to decide which of the following models to go for:

Panasonic DMR E95
    Pioneer DVR 720
    Sony HX900

At the moment I am tending towards the Pioneer. My main question regards Picture Quality in the various recording modes. The input will be via standard terrestrial aerial, so I do not see the need to record at the highest quality. Which of the various recording methods will be equal to or better than VHS?

On a slightly different tack, as these machines use hard disks, and you will be constantly creating files and deleting files, is there some sort of feature to 'defrag' the disks? After all, we defrag our PC hard disks to improve performance, and I assume that the HDD recorders will suffer the same degradation in performance over time. Anyone care to comment?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I don't think any of the recorders need to load/unload data to/from the HDD that quickly, so fragmentation isn't really a serious issue.

3. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All though they do recomend not deleting very small bits, such as adverts etc and even that ocasionally you have to delete everything off of it and re-initialize the hard drive when it really becomes a mess.

Ideally they could have had some sort of auto defrag feature... anyway I havn't had a problem yet so not really sure how much of an issue it is

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    IMHO Pioneer LP is way ahead of VHS.
    LP with an RGB feed from a Freeview box is even better (on a 32" Sony TV) after being used to tape. I don't see the need for better than LP for plain time-shifting TV. SP or as close as possible is better for DVD archiving. The Pioneers have 32 manual recording modes, which move in 5, 10 and 15 min intervals from 1 - 6 hours per DVD. SP is MN 21, LP is MN 9 so you have eleven options in 10 minute steps between 2 and 4 hours if you want to plan a 'best fit' for a DVD for repeated viewing. Your alternatives are for 160GB disks, which will give you 130+ hours at LP.
    I think I'd skip the Sony because of comments about limited editiong and copying flexibility.

Computer HDDs are constantly writing and re-writing data - for example Internet cache files, documents, all sorts of stuff to the registry. So as soon as space currently in use for a file is insufficient, the file overflows to some free space somewhere else on the disk. A volatile file could easily be split across a large number of physical locations.
    HDDs in video recorders tend to record long chunks of stuff in one go and then when material is deleted a lot of space is freed up at once. So fragmnetation will occur, but only in fairly large amounts, and relatively slowly.
    Pioneers have a HDD initialise function which only shows on the menu if the HDD file system becomes corrupted. I assume this is like a PC Format. But Defragmentation is not an option on any machine as far as I know.

5. photoman

photoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, especially to eddyad for that detailed information. I have been reading up on these models and what people have to say about them. It's now time to download the manuals for them, rather than just the advertising blurb, and see exactly what they can and cannot do.

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to the most recent issue of What Video.HDD recorders do not partition material like a PCHDD,so defrag is not an option that is required