1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defragment

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Sasso, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it a good idea to defragment a HDD music player?

I've put about 5 gigs of songs on my Sony HD5 but there was quite a few things I took off again and reloaded later on because I had to ReWrite all the tags for the songs because I wanted all of the tags to be correct for things like Genre and Artist (The secret to Sonic Stage is to tag the songs properly, I use winamp and windows XP right click properties, very quick and easy).
    I know that doing this sort of thing (UnInstalling, moving, etc) on a PC can make empty space gaps and fragments on the hard drive and a defragment every so often sorts this out resulting in a slightly faster PC.

My theory is that defragmenting the disk will put everything in the right place on the hard drive making the access to songs faster and perhaps less gaps between the songs (only mp3 has extremely small gap) but probably not. Also hopefully it should take less power to play songs because things like albums should be together on the disk so to buffer the next song it wont have to go to the other side of the disk just to read it and come back.

I decided to check out the HD5 by analysing the removable drive with 'disk defragmenter'. It had a quite few white gaps and red lines (fragment). Ive just started a defragment and its working but only very very slowly. Its only at 4% in about 10 mins.
    Is this because I only have a USB1.1 port or is it expected to take a long time?
    Has anyone tried defragmenting their player before?

Ok by the time it took me to write this the percentage has shot up to 80% so i guess it doesn't take too long after all.

Its done and it worked quite well.....no fragmented files and nice blue bar on the left and white on the right. Havn't checked if its any faster but I doubt you would be able to tell unless it was very messy and fragmented in the first place. Battery might last longer you never know...
    The player didn't get any warmer than a usual transfer...

I would still like to know what your opinions are.

Thanks

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    If you defrag, you might make the battery last a little longer due to less activity finding the various fragments of any songs that are fragmented.
    I'll do no harm, that's for sure - done it one my own iPod photo, and the wee lad's 3G iPod with 1 odd GB left out of 15.
    The only thing is the time it'll take, but you could do it overnight.

3. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    And there are no issues with confusing the unit or doing any kind of harm at all etc... it works perfectly well after a defragment?

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,222
    I'd rather not mess around and play safe.

Certainly not for a little increase in batt life

5. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Nope, none whatsoever. Why should it? It's just files (hidden) on a HDD - something not a million miles fromwhat you are currently using to surf this site and whatnot else.
    If you have Norton, its defragmenter has an iPod optimization option - used that previously (when it worked under OS X.3 [Panther]) with no ill effects. Would expect the same holds true under Windows version.

6. JB5

JB5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    No problems here defragmenting my HD3 (W2K / USB 2).

Very slow to complete but no side effects that I have seen.
    Indeed there was a post recently of someone who had defragged their player with skipping MP3 tracks. After the defrag no more skipping!