Defrag?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by roy@coldrick.ne, Jan 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. roy@coldrick.ne

roy@coldrick.ne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am probably going to buy a PVR and at this point in time the favourite is the Thompson box. I visited a retailer to look and talk but assistance had less knowledge than me - which is quite difficult.

My question is that I can imagine how as programs are watched and removed from the hard disk, the disk will become fragmented , much like a PC disk, so is this a problem? If a program were fragmented into a large number of smaller segments then I would expect a delay as it switches from one segment to another. Maybe that delay is imperceptible or perhaps there is buffering involved but I would like to hear.

Roy

2. roy@coldrick.ne

roy@coldrick.ne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The lack of a response ( maybe I didn't wait long enough) suggests that this Newbie has asked a dumb question! If so could someone explain why please?
    Thanks

Roy

3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,292
    Most HDD recorders incorporate their own defragging system. For example, the JVC HM-HDS1 will occasionally switch off it's HDD light, refuse to do anything (for safety) and display "Optimizing Disk". This happens while it is defragging around once a month with average use and takes less than a minute. The memory buffer used is more than enough to cope with minor fragmentation.

4. roy@coldrick.ne

roy@coldrick.ne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary

That is clear - thank you very much.

Roy

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,025
    i know the Tivo is always running a defrag in the background, to keep performance optimal.