Definitive Warranty for a UK PAL Wii?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by G a f f e r, Jan 9, 2008.

1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Right, well searching through some of the 91 odd results for "warranty" has revealed many varied opinions of the length of warranty of the Wii.

As far as I understand it, generally a shop will accept returns for 1 year from purchase as standard....but the actual period of returns to the shop for faulty goods (unsatisfactory quality/unfit for purpose/not as described) in the UK is longer and varies depending on what is considered a "reasonable length of time" (hardly concrete is it :rolleyes:)?

However, quite seperate to this, Nintendo themselves offer a 1 year warranty. I checked in the operations manual in which there is a clear description thus:

So there it is in black and white.

Now I also understand that people have instead been verbally informed by codestorm that actually we have a 2 year warranty!
    Now, I don't mean to sound cynical, but it will be a cold day in hell before I take the word of an unsighted person down a telephone line over and above what I can clearly see printed in front of me :devil:.

So my question is, has anyone got any HARD EVIDENCE that we definitely do have a 2 year warranty?

Photographic evidence of said warranty/paperwork to that effect for UK PAL Wii's or, better still, someone here confirming that they've had their Wii for over 1 year and Nintendo still repaired it free of charge, would be nice :D.

P.S. Before you ask, nope, my Wii is fine but seeing as the 1 year expired last week, I was contemplating opening it to solder in my GC mem card and also to rig the fan so that it stays on even when in standby connect mode. This way the GPU won't bugger up if I leave it in "orange LED" all the time :D.....

2. bossc@

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Bit of an odd one this but any console bought from a EU member state should be eligible under the pan european warranty. The article below had Nintendo actually encouraging people to buy from abroad before Xmas. I bought mine from Luxembourg with a 2 year warranty, I cant see how they could have separate warranty lengths for different countries.

http://uk.gizmodo.com/2007/11/17/nintendos_wii_slows_to_a_dribb.html

3. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Good to know it's Europe-wide, but that article only states where it is valid, it doesn't give a clear 2 year period indicating how long it is valid.

I don't suppose you could take a piccie of your own Wii's warranty and post it up for confirmation, could you please? :)

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    What about the trade descriptions act?

5. bossc@

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Oddly enough, the only reference I can find is in the manual and states 12 months in all language sections. I was under the impression that all European electrical goods had to be sold with a 24 month warranty - you live and learn.

6. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,025
    UK hasn't signed up to the European 2 year warranty.

I know from friends in Germany that when they buy things they are covered by a 2 year warranty under European law.

This sounded like the UK was missing out so I followed it up and found out that this was yet another European law that the UK had opted out of.

Seem that we get all the crummy European laws and none of the good ones.

Cheers,

Nigel

7. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    Not sure about PAL but with the US NTSC console you get 12 months warrenty with the place of purchase, and then a further 3 months from Nintendo if you register your console.