Definitive Technology BP9000 Series 5.4.4 Speaker Package Review & Comments

What a review,now i want this :)

Steve - did you mean "American muscle"?

Muscule is a long movable shed:

Muscule

Thanks for the review anyway!:)

Last edited:
Yes I did, annoying typo. On the plus side, I have learnt a new word.

Sorry Steve.

You give up your time and energy to write a fulsome review, and some numpty pulls you up on a typo!:facepalm:

It does sound like very interesting, innovative and well thought through design and technology and I hope other manufacturers take note.

The only problem I can see is that they may not be entirely suitable for small to average sized British living rooms, but I see no good reason why built-in Subs in tower speakers and add-on Atmos modules that are designed from the outset to fit seamlessly can't become the norm.

If I had just a little more space I’d be all over them. I’ve never owned any Def Tech Speakers but always had a desire to own some.

Years ago, I was at my usual dealer at the time, The Sound Gallery in High Wycombe, having taken in a turntable for servicing. While I was waiting for them to check something, they decided to entertain me with a demo of their new Laser Disc player with some Def Tech speakers they had just taken delivery of. I had never heard of them or seen them before.

They played a couple of scenes from Jurassic Park and a couple of songs from a Pink Floyd concert. To say I was impressed would be an understatement. To this day, I have never heard Jurassic Park have so much authority and weight. Same with the Pink Floyd concert. Really superb.

I was reluctantly getting my credit card ready when they said "hang on", check out some stereo music through them first as they knew that this was most important to me. My credit card was soon safely back in my pocket. The Def Tech speakers were almost unlistenable. Way too bright and overbearing and in your face. I guess the attributes that were so impressive for video were drawbacks for normal stereo.

I'm sure they have improved since then and might be worth a listen again.

They caught my attention from reading American AV magazines back in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. They just looked proper awesome.

Years ago, I was at my usual dealer at the time, The Sound Gallery in High Wycombe, having taken in a turntable for servicing. While I was waiting for them to check something, they decided to entertain me with a demo of their new Laser Disc player with some Def Tech speakers they had just taken delivery of. I had never heard of them or seen them before.

They played a couple of scenes from Jurassic Park and a couple of songs from a Pink Floyd concert. To say I was impressed would be an understatement. To this day, I have never heard Jurassic Park have so much authority and weight. Same with the Pink Floyd concert. Really superb.

I was reluctantly getting my credit card ready when they said "hang on", check out some stereo music through them first as they knew that this was most important to me. My credit card was soon safely back in my pocket. The Def Tech speakers were almost unlistenable. Way too bright and overbearing and in your face. I guess the attributes that were so impressive for video were drawbacks for normal stereo.

So, basically, you'd have these speakers purely for HC duties and a separate Hi-Fi system for music?

I do that! Mind you, I use PMC speakers for both and they work equally well. I think the Def Tech speakers are probably designed for their specific remit, as long as the buyer knows this then it's all good.:)

While the 9000 Series does include some truly massive speakers, the models I was reviewing weren't as big as you might imagine. The 9020s in particular are surprisingly discreet.

I think you owe it to other Forum members to get them and let us all know how they sound. :D:laugh::rotfl:;):smashin:

I just need a very kind person to loan me a set :D

Interestingly, there doesn't appear to be a SR9060 Surround, just the SR9040 & SR9080. Seems odd as there is a matching CS9060 Centre.

Running the 9040s as a stereo pair sounded great to me, especially with the built-in subs. However, it's fair to say the bipolar design is better suited to movies.

I’d really love to try a set of Def Techs in my room. I had a complete fascination for them right from their early versions of the Towers. And these later versions look awesome.

Doubt I’ll get a set to try out though, but I will try.

You should also take a listen at Golden ear´s Triton towers the AMT tweeter does wonders, amazing speakers, similar design with built-in powered subwoofer.
Most wold say they are the evolution of the Deft Tech speakers, since they where "created" by the same person, that left Def Tech and, then he started Golden ear tech.

You should also take a listen at Golden ear´s Triton towers the AMT tweeter does wonders, amazing speakers, similar design with built-in powered subwoofer.
Most wold say they are the evolution of the Deft Tech speakers, since they where "created" by the same person, that left Def Tech and, then he started Golden ear tech.

Interesting. I'm just looking at the Triton Five.

Interesting. I'm just looking at the Triton Five.
Those sit on the top of the range of the ones without built-in powered subwoofer section, they are very good.
I started with the Triton one and the supercenter XXL for the front LCR'r, then the Triton reference came out and are now they replaced the Triton One's as LR that are now serving as side sorrounds. Couldn't be more happy with them they pack a punch that has to be heard to belive it, crazy dynamic, and can play at reference levels with no fatigue, very nice:)

Had a pair of the mythos gem speakers around 10y ago from DT. The sound was amazing and the build quality the best i have come accross. Very few seem to know abou them [least thats how it seemd when i asked about them] but there very good.

Have a pair of DT Inclines as my desktop speakers. After reading a review on Audioholics describing them as truly audiophile, I had to have them! And they really are.

They also use bass radiators, so while you could add a sub (cunningly, there’s an output), there is honestly no need.

The excellence of these little desktops makes me seriously tempted to hear the BP range.

I’m curious, though, wouldn’t using Dirac have made them sound even better?

Very intriguing concept. @Steve Withers you mentioned you preferred the speakers when they were made full range. In their website DF tech recommends this option as well. In that case ie if you don’t connect the LFE cable to the sub input of the speakers and made all of them run full range , will you not lose the discreet LFE channel signal?
Also if you go for the 8inch sub speaker versions ie 9020 (which goes down to only 28hz) I presume you have the option of running them full range AND add a separate external sub like a sealed PSA sub for LFE duties for LFE that goes below 20hz? Thanks
Sanjay

Very intriguing concept. @Steve Withers you mentioned you preferred the speakers when they were made full range. In their website DF tech recommends this option as well. In that case ie if you don’t connect the LFE cable to the sub input of the speakers and made all of them run full range , will you not lose the discreet LFE channel signal?
Also if you go for the 8inch sub speaker versions ie 9020 (which goes down to only 28hz) I presume you have the option of running them full range AND add a separate external sub like a sealed PSA sub for LFE duties for LFE that goes below 20hz? Thanks
Sanjay

If the onboard LFE Input is not used/connected from the Receiver then there will not be any LFE content present. This would either need connecting or add a seperate Subwoofer. The Towers can still be set to Full Range or Small if adding a seperate Subwoofer. Although I’m unsure as to why they would be set to Small.

If the onboard LFE Input is not used/connected from the Receiver then there will not be any LFE content present. This would either need connecting or add a seperate Subwoofer. The Towers can still be set to Full Range or Small if adding a seperate Subwoofer. Although I’m unsure as to why they would be set to Small.

Thanks Kev that's what I thought. You could get something like 9020 X4 use them as full range and then add something like PSA 1510 or 3010 connected as only LFE from the AV receiver thus needing only a single sub for the heavy lifting. that will make a very neat and tidy setup. What is more confusing is if you go to Def tech website they actually prefer to connect speakers as full range ( if you go into their manual link)without mentioning adding any other sub for LFE

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom