Definitive Sound Technology, DST-303 Speakers HOAX!

Jenzo

Novice Member
I am starting this thread because I want to warn people about some speakers currently going around. I myself was conned into buying these speakers and instead of trying to pass on these speakers as being worth more than they are, I have decided to inform everyone about their INFERIOR quality.

First of all... if you by reading this feel the urge to laugh at me, and make fun of my poor judgement, please do so. I accept that I was an idiot for falling for this, but to my own defence I would like to point out that these guys WERE GOOD. This was a classical white van speakers hoax, and I wish I had known about these before I bought these speakers.
I have decided to laugh this experience off, and learn from this. I also want to warn others about these speakers.

The speakers claim to be worth $2000 per speaker and to be genuinely 4-way speakers.
Having tested the speakers, I would probably estimate them to be worth £150 tops for the pair. They work... but they are without a doubt NOT 4 way, and possibly not even 3 way. The sound is lifeless, dull and without any definition. :thumbsdow They are able to produce loud sounds and relatively low frequencies... :rolleyes:

I am currently trying to sell them on for £75.

Check out their embarrassing homepage here.

Please leave your comments or experience on this thread. Hopefully this post will stop people from make the same mistake as I did. :oops:

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
I'm genuinely sorry for you and hope you avoid the self righteous know alls who'll lecture you on the mistake you realise you've made.

I wouldn't have mistaken your speakers for Def Tech in the flesh, but it's easy to see how some people can be conned, especially if everything sounds plausible enough at first glance.

For instance, I only clicked on this thread because I saw the words 'Definitive' and 'Technology' and assumed it was a p'd off customer with Def Tech speakers, which would be unusual - Def Tech owners would never admit to any weaknesses in their speakers.:D

Bad Luck.:(

Russell

Magslad

Novice Member
Bad luck mate - like Russell, I feel sorry for you and you don't need anyone rubbing it in.

Easy to be fooled by this, especially as I'm sure it was in a situation where you weren't prepared for it. I'm sure it won't be any consolation but you weren't the first to fall for this and you won't be the last, it's been going on for years and if it didn't work the scum doing it would have stopped by now.

I was approached around 10-12 years ago with this (while out walking in London near Regents Park) - luckily didn't fall for it but having seen first hand how they operate and the tactics they use I agree with you that they are very plausible so don't be too hard on yourself. I'm sure you won't fall for it again :mad:

All the best.

Davieboy00

Novice Member
I echo everyone elses sentiments and wholeheartedly feel for you.
I also applaude you for swallowing your pride and facing your obvious embaressment to alert others who may not be as aware :clap:
I have been in the happy position that I worked as a rep on the road for many years and as such spent a lot of time in service stations , where these guys operate mainly , and saw every scam going. Speakers , watches , lingerie , perfume , golf clubs etc. etc.
Again , thanks for raising the awareness of these sorts of scams. Even thought it may have been a painful and expensive lesson it will have been an invaluable one.
All the best.
David

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Sorry to hear about another person getting caught out with this common scam.

Out of interest how much did they get out of you for the speakers?

Jenzo

Novice Member
Hi guys... thank you all for your kind words.

Especially because this has been a rather hard pill to swallow.

I paid £330 for the set... which is quite a lot for a student. :(

Currently I have the speakers hooked up to a 70W cambridge audio amp in the living room, making the console gaming experience quite a bit richer.

I think some people might never figure out how inferior the quality of these speakers are. (un)Fortunately I have worked with audio engineering at the ISVR in Southampton for a few years now. I have built speakers and have several pairs of high quality hifi and reference audio systems.

On top of this I am the president of a sceptic society.

This experience has taken me down a peg or two.

Fred the Oyster

Novice Member
For those that are interested in some background, the defsound.com domain is registered by a rather shady anonymising registration agency called "Domain Discreet" with a Portuguese address (although the firm itself is Canadian), which if you Google it, will appear as a rash over Google's search index (a Blue's Brothers' paraphrase I couldn't resist :) ).

Registrant:
Domain Discreet
ATTN: defsoundtech.com
Avenida do Infante 50
Funchal, Madeira 9004-521
PT
Email: [email protected]

Registrar Name....: REGISTER.COM, INC.
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: Register Domain Names at Register.com - Business Web Hosting Services and Domain Name Registration Provider

Domain Name: defsoundtech.com

Created on..............: Sat, May 26, 2007
Expires on..............: Wed, May 26, 2010
Record last updated on..: Mon, May 19, 2008

Administrative Contact:
Domain Discreet
Avenida do Infante 50
PT
Phone: 1-902-7495331

Technical Contact:
Domain Discreet
Avenida do Infante 50
PT
Phone: 1-902-7495331

Isco 3

I have seen them before in a friend's house. He paid £400 for the pair, the one with the yellow drivers. I believe they are piano black and they look impressive at first. He was so excited...
The speakers have no weight at all, and the side panels "move along".

I noticed they also do an 8 x 500W receiver :rolleyes:
Same receiver can do 5.1 in 2 different rooms simultaneously..

Jenzo

Novice Member
Oh... that is probably the Matrix 1200's... Yeah... Stories about those speakers finally confirmed that I had been fooled.

The sides on these speakers are also very flimsy and plays along merrily with the music. It's like having a few extra drivers... NICE :thumbsdow

-Ad-

Some guy at uni could not have been happier with his set. Looked impressive but didn't sound it at all. He was a big rugby player so I just nodded :D

I got approached at uni as well, probably the same guys he bought them off. I was walking to uni (nottingham) wearing my Grados so he obviously thought I was an easy target. I had a peak for the hell of it and he showed me loads of pics and reviews. I knew it was too good to be true and that my grados probably attracted him so it must have been a scam.

On a different day and feeling a bit flush I might have done the same as you. Unlucky, but you have learned now to never give in to pressurising sales speak. Apply this new found skill to every difficult sales type situation and use it to your advantgae with some major haggling or just scewing around with them :rotfl:

JVV

Standard Member
it happened to me, they got £500 out of me. they wanted £600. i feel so bad, the police isn't going to do anything.
please anyone out there- tell your friends about this, make sure this doesn't happen again. i feel sick. i'm a student too. i not too hard up but the money will be missed. why did i do it??

sympathy all round to other victims and myself.

K

Kr15^

It happened to me today as well. I got chumped out of £300 which still hurts because its not money well spent of course. These two guys approached me in their van in sheffield and unfortunately for me I wasn't on the ball today at all and I really feel for anyone else who has been conned, especially by this deal.
I can only hope that one day these two men will get their commupence. Hopefully nobody else has to go through this experience and maybe one day something can be done about it. Cheers Jenzo for opening up this forum, I really do need some consoling tonight!

JVV

Standard Member
where did they get the speakers originally? has anyone had a proper look at them. do they come from another company? is there anyway of finding the true value of them.

A

AndrewGMBloomer

I bought these and have been trying to sell them on Ebay. I guess I understand why they have not been sold.

i got hustled for £300. What a Muppet I am. I feel really stupid, beacuse I have just put them in my front room and I was going to hook them up to my tv cos I couldn't get rid of them. I guess I probably should have just thrown them on a bonfire instead!!!

But as a matter of precaution I copied down there van's registration number!!! Can I do anything or shall I resign myself to the fact that they hustled £300 out of me?

Any ideas let me know!!!

A

AndrewGMBloomer

where did they get the speakers originally? has anyone had a proper look at them. do they come from another company? is there anyway of finding the true value of them.
i had a warranty card in one of my boxes, it cam from a company in New jersey in America, going to email them about them now, with the serial numbers and see if they can shed any light on them!!!

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Well, we can only expect 'white van' speakers from a white van.

But let me ask you this, because it does lend some perspective. What if you had only paid £100 for the pair? How would you evaluate them then? I mean £100 doesn't buy much in terms of speakers, though there are some good bookshelfs at that price.

I mean, are these speaker total crappola at any price, or is there a price low enough to make them worth while?

They do have drivers, and sound does come out of them, they must have some worth at some price?

I'm just curious. I've always considered that if I came across some guys selling 'white van' speakers out of the back of a white van, I might be tempted to make a low-ball offer just to take them home and see how bad they are.

Again, just curious.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

brains144

Standard Member
Hi Jenzo
Would be happy to help you out and buy your pair of DST 303 speakers for £75 including delivery North London

Hi-Fi Virgin

Standard Member
It seems the white van men have been on a (student fest) conning the poor little monkeys out of there parents hard earned cash they certainly know there targets, For some first time away from the protection of home and Square parents that check out stuff first .......Ebay is awash with them at the moment one set has a starting price of wait for it £1,500.00 Is it worth using watchdog to save the unsuspected from the sting

zoooom

Standard Member
I too bought these speakers from a couple of dodgy guys in a white van, although as it was happening I pretty much realised that the speakers were fake and were worth no where near as much as they were saying (look at the packaging ***!). Nevertheless they looked nice and i had just got a new overdraft so thought I would buy them anyway if I could get them for the right price! Managed to get the pair for £160, and they reluctanctly gave me a lift home from uni to my house (like 2 miles).

Not being harsh but you people who paid 300+ really need to work on your negotiation skills. Fair enough we got bumped but lets face it, these speakers LOOK immense, and i've seen people pay a lot more for ornaments that don't emit any sound... :)

I'm keeping mine!

Gordab

It seems the white van men have been on a (student fest) conning the poor little monkeys out of there parents hard earned cash they certainly know there targets, For some first time away from the protection of home and Square parents that check out stuff first .......Ebay is awash with them at the moment one set has a starting price of wait for it £1,500.00 Is it worth using watchdog to save the unsuspected from the sting
If you report the listing to eBay and link to the various sites outlining this con, then eBay will withdraw the listing.

Because the conmen keep changing the name/model number eBay can't catch them all, but I've got 3 sets of these removed.

Just to note, if someone lists them privately for a realistic sum (£50 start bid etc) and doesnt make outlandish claims for them eBay WONT remove the listing.

double_n17

Standard Member
Yeah guys, i have been had as well, i was in leeds where these 2 guys in a white van started shouting at me n my mate...we thought they were taking the **** at first. but they showed us the gear and i wasn't really feeling it, but we got them down to £200 for the pair each so i thought it would be a gud investment....i have just found this thread and i am so so gutted. I am also a student and £200 is such alot of money to me.
I think the best thing is to sell them locally for £75 ono...

I'm so angry! they seemed so genuine, i asked to see I.D and everything! i just know i will learn from this mistake. aghhh!!

T

theduckwith1leg

I've been had too. Only found out from reading this thread, was about to start selling them on ebay. I paid 250, they even drove me to the cash point to let me get the money out!

The weirdest thing was I knew it might be a scam and that still didn't stop me handing over the money. I just thought of the £4,000 I could make if it was true and convinced myself it was a gamble worth taking. After all, these guys look fairly decent and the speakers are obviously genuine. Look, he's got a magazine, it must be true!!

I'm going to the police, I don't care if they laugh and do nothing. Maybe if enough of us do it they'll do something.

I'm going to erect the speakers as a monument in my house to remind me never to be such a naive, blindly optimistic fcukwit again.

And thanks Jenzo for telling everyone.

brains144

Standard Member
Gentlemen
Look a Con is a Con but for those of you who paid say £150 give or take a bit the speakers are good value and work reasonably well, Yes they are not worth $4000 a pair like the con artists pretend with their dummy documentation but try and find speakers this size new for less than £200 a pair, most of them are £500/600 upwards and not a lot better, So rather than cry, Let this be a lesson in life learn from it in the future and enjoy the sound from them, Always think positive in life and there is a way forward.

eaglemmoomin

Novice Member
You could always treat them as a DIY project? A load of you seem to be students all you need is a mate into electronics or access to an engineering department say......and a bit of help with some structural/internal bracing. Maybe that way something positive can come from the experience?

OT110

Standard Member
But as a matter of precaution I copied down there van's registration number!!! Can I do anything or shall I resign myself to the fact that they hustled £300 out of me?
I got hoaxed into buying these speakers today in Bristol. Paid £250 for them. What was the registration number? I've emailed watchdog to see if they can do anything or at least investigate the situation. Any further info. you have could prove very useful.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett