Definitive answer on PS4pro settings

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by sahara101, Oct 23, 2017.

1. sahara101

sahara101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

issue: The Last of US has greyish parts (washed out?) in HDR OR in SDR Low blacks and limited range. Looks clear on SDR Low blacks and auto range BUT mostly blacks are crushed.

I am pasting part of my topic on reddit:

Here is what I mean:

HDR on - low black levels and auto range (which has no effect on HDR?)

SDR- Low black levels and auto range.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Never mind the ***** picture grains, but you understand what I mean with picture looks greyish.

Now what I noticed. Whereas the picture looks better in SDR under these conditions (and also gas masks parts), it looks better in HDR with very dark areas. First picture - SDR with low blacks and auto range. Second picture - HDR Third one - SDR with low black and limited range. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Now I assume that low + limited is same as high + auto.

Setting SDR on low + limited I get the same greyish effects in those areas.

Also tested with Fallout 4 SDR and Witcher 3 SDR. Correct settings SEEMS to be low + limited, otherwise much detail is lost.

But I am really stumped on how and WHY I get this weird effect. Deep color is enabled.

LE: TV is B7

Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  2. sahara101

sahara101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Extra info: HDR low dynamic contrast. Washed out effect does not vanish with medium or high, but seems better on high. Which I don't want to use, I don't think it is the normal setting.
    Contrast is set to 82, colors 50.
    SDR same only dynamic off.
    Bright areas looking fine on both. Only those damn parts, and it seems I am the only one with this issue. Also tested with PS4 Pro HDMI cable.

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    I'm not quite sure which setting you're talking about when you say low blacks. Is this something on the console or the TV?

Are the captions the wrong way round on the first set of pictures? You say the HDR one looks washed out but in the images it appears to be the SDR one.

4. sahara101

sahara101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TV setting, you can choose between low/high black level.
    Ah, yes. Seems I noted the caption the wrong way. First one is SDR with black levels low and rgb range auto and second one is HDR.
    Also phone camera does not do justice for the pics, it look better in real. Issue on SDR is that very very dark scenes blacks are crushed. So it seems that correct setting is low blacks/limited range or high blacks/auto range.
    But then I get the same washed out (greyed) image as in HDR. I hope it is only in those parts for TLoU. Otherwise I cannot explain.