1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Definetly Tosh but. . . . .

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bash, Feb 14, 2003.

1. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Im about to buy a new TV and have narrowed it down to 2 Tosh's.

This one -> CLICKY

and

This one -> CLICKY

But which should I go for? I've seen them both and am pleased with the pic quality. The RP is 42" whilst the Strata has NTSC Prog Scan. Other than that they seem pretty inseperable.

Primary use will be PS2 and Sky digi.

Any advice from owners of these sets would be most appreciated, thanx in advance ;)

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 36ZD26P and would say that if Sky is a priority, then the inbuilt progressive mode works far better with Sky than the 100hz modes tend to.

There are many horror stories about this TV but I'm one of the equally many people who are completely stunned by the quality it is able to deliver.

3. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    So is progressive mode a different feature from progressive scan? what does it do?

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'Progress' mode is the TVs attempt/version at progressive scanning non true-progressive sources.

So, if you run a progressive scan signal (NTSC only) from a DVD player or games console it will display that signal.

If you use Sky or a VCR or any non-progressive scan source you can run the TVs 'Progress' mode to give some of the benefits, although it's not true progressive and is noticeably not as good.

But as I said, it seems to work exceptionally well with Sky, mainly because I believe it reverts to a 50 or 60hz scanning/refresh rate (certainly less than 100hz anyway).

5. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    almost at the point where ive saved enough money to buy a 32zd26p but am abit hessitant due to lack of pal prg (but in my budget i can really complain :rolleyes: )
    so are you saying the progress mode processes pal signals?
    is it any good for watching dvds or is normal 100hz of 50hz mode better on this set?
    thanks

6. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ACHTUNG!! No tilt (geomagnetic)

Only buy the 32" version if you can live with a tilted screen of 5mm more on oneside - "the acepatable parameter" and you do top plan to move house. :lesson:

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, you can of course change the tilt in the service menu...

As for watching PAL DVDs with progress mode, yes, on the odd occasion I rent/borrow a R2 disc, I do watch it in progress mode and it seems to me to consistently give a more filmic picture than the 100hz modes... but I repeat it's NOT as good as a direct NTSC progressive scan signal.

8. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It looks better because the TV is running in plain straight interlaced 50Hz mode i.e. all 100Hz interlaced double scanning is turned off hence why it seems better as you don't suffer the side effects of the 100Hz processing which is easily amongst the best out there having had this set, but not as good as the Loewe Aventos I have now which replaced it as I got too fed up with the buzzing problem it had from Toshiba using cheap transformer on the power supply circuit and noisy scan coil on the tube itself.

9. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    hmmmmm, no-one know anything about the RPTV then? I really cant decide myself which one to get as they're both simarly priced too.

What are RPtvs like for games comapred to CRT's anyways?

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe you were unlucky, I can't hear anything from my TV even with my ear pressed against it.

Conversely, I auditioned a couple of Loewe sets and found the picture looked too un-natural for prolonged viewing... although I'm sure they are better made generally.

11. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    If you went for the RPTV, you woud have to restrict your gameplaying on it as they are prone to screen burn.
    But, with some sense and a well configured picture, you shuld be ok.

A fair few people within this forum use RPTV for gaming and have had no problems although I think that the CRT may be your better option for gaming myself. (IMO).

Thanks.

12. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Lol, now Im really confused ;)

Im prolly gonna play around 10 hrs a week on it, is that ok?

tbh Im prolly gonna get the new Blaze VGA adapter for the PS2 that forces your hi res games into 640x480 res. This effects most of the big titles like Tekken 4, Burnout 1&2, Time splitter 2 and PES2 etc.

Cant wait!

13. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have just got my 36ZD26P and I am stunned by the quality of the picture (went from tosh 40" RPTV if that helps)

Altough their is no pal progressive the best picture I have seen so far is R2 ice age - amazing - IMHO even better than R1 monsters inc using prog scan.

I was nearly put off by some of the reliability posts on the forum but I'm really glad I went for it.

14. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to hear from another happy user :)

I must admit I've not seen Ice Age (R1, R2 or otherwise) but I did actually rent Minority Report (R2 obviously) and watched that in the Tosh's progress mode and I have to say, it wasn't far off what the very best R1 discs look like in true progressive. A friend and I also watched (believe it or not) Sky One's showing of Predator using the progress mode and it was as good as many DVDs I've seen through non-progressive set ups.

15. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry! No buzz from this set. Mine runs quiet, with not a hint of buzzing. Maybe you had a dodgy set.

John

16. clety

clety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had Toshiba 32ZD26p for two weeks now and I am very pleased with it. After reading your suggestions, I've set my picture to picture mode 3 and I've seen the difference.

Progress mode, according to the mannual is for viewing NTSC material but you are saying it gives the best result with SKY Digital. I always use Sky for my viewing and recently tried this and saw noticeble improvement!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge! The mannual doesn't seem to give advice as to how to optimise the TV for Digital picture source.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

17. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find it does tend to work even better on Sky signals when watching material that would have originally been NTSC. Stuff like CSI, Boomtown, Friends etc. look excellent.

It also works well on PAL material though, to my eyes at least. Can't recall what it was, but I flicked on to a property programme on BBC2 the other week (via Sky) and ended up watching about 10 minutes of it purely because the picture quality was so spellbinding.

Sometimes Sky really can deliver excellent pictures :)

18. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just let me add my quantum of happiness with the 32ZD26 to the scales. Mine does have a buzz if I put my head next to the back of the set, but when I'm back on the screen side - where the PQ is so much better, especially with PG - I don't notice it.

ditton15

19. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh: I like it! :laugh:

20. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I can hear a buzz with mine - it's just starting to become annoying, can this be fixed ?

21. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not unless the PCB containing the input power transformer which is the worst buzzing culprit is replaced. I was told within tolerance by two engineers so no fault. Thankfully bought from John Lewis so said take it back and they did. Otherwise very nice TV.

22. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    just been told by my retailer that Toshiba do not do home visits for TV's :confused:

is this correct

23. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well yes, your supplying dealer is responsible for the after sales service during the guarantee period. Thats why its so important to buy something like a large TV from someone who has good after sales service setup that does home visits as otherwise you can't relistically be expected to put it in your car and take it back to the shop to show them the problem.

24. wayne

wayne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do a search on here for 42wt29, if you can put up with a pink bloom to the right hand side of the tv and manual convergence that doesn't converge, the Toshiba is a fine piece of kit

Wayne