Defence and Emergency Service Discount schemes

Doug the D

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

I understand that the forum has a number of members that are U.K ex-military. I recently became aware of the Defence Discount Service from a friend. The scheme is free to join for serving, or retired members of all 3 services, and offers some good discounts from a huge database of companies. There is also the option to pay £5 for a card, which is valid for 5 years, and offers in-store savings also.

You must be able to prove your affiliation to one of the armed services, using your service number/ DOB etc...

I've ran this thread through the appropriate channels here at AVF, and have been cleared to post this link to a handy website.

Defence Discount Service Official - The only official forces discount website for the Armed Forces, families and Veterans

For clarity, I am in no way affiliated to the website, and am simply promoting it to give fellow ex-forces members access to the site.

Enjoy :)

nheather

Distinguished Member
Probably of more use if you visit the US - they love their vets over there - free meals, free donuts, free admission to attractions, discount here there and everywhere - and no quibble about including UK ex-servicemen.

I don't know for sure but I bet the UK offering is poor by comparison.

Cheers,

Nigel

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
I have used it for years. It gives 10% off KFC's. That alone paid for itself. It also gives money off at Frankie and Bennies, and Chiquitos.

If you download the app it tells you what's around you giving a discount. Dreams is another from what I can remember. I am abroad right now so can't really check what else.

There is also Rewards for Forces but from what I can remember they have a higher fee.

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
One of our local domino's stopped the 50% discount(still too much so still don't use) after one of the delivery drivers got a speeding ticket :rotfl::rotfl:.

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
I think there is a similar scheme for emergency services.
You are quite correct! Was always funny seeing "the police" on the order screen

On a side note. It's one thing I wish we did in this country like the US. They do look after and respect ex forces / emg services

IMO it's something we should be ashamed of as a country quite frankly

Last edited:

Doug the D

Distinguished Member
I think there is a similar scheme for emergency services.
Thread title altered to suit :smashin:

Edit: If someone from the AA or RAC tells me of their scheme, they can sod off. I'm not promoting any old random site...

Even if they are the '4th Emergency Service' - I bet the Coastguard/ SAR loved that ad campaign :rotfl:

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
You are quite correct! Was always funny seeing "the police" on the order screen

On a side note. It's one thing I wish we did in this country like the US. They do look after and respect ex forces / emg services

IMO it's something we should be ashamed of as a country quite frankly
I agree, but I am quite a good blagger. I am of the opinion if you don't ask you don't get. I don't expect things for free but for example I have been upgraded a few times in hotels on one occasion (our wedding anniversary) I was upgraded to a suite. Separate lounge and separate dining room as well as bedroom. Something I would never be able to afford otherwise. In that particular case the room was available so why not?

Last edited:

IronGiant

I can't even get into Costco :(

:D

scatterbug

A nice gesture by Iceland. Time to dig out my Blue Light card. Tried to use it in Halfords once but the associated app didn't work.

prezzy

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Had the blue light card for nearly a year....can't really grumble for a fiver....but not used it much to be honest...

Handy for a few food places like pizza hut and yo sushi for example...also get a quid off a cinema near me..

Bit annoying that I tried to use a few times at tills and I couldn't use it against stuff already in sales...or like Halfords you have go through the website

Think more high street places should sign up for it as I agree with other comments how shockingly bad this country treats its veterans

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
Used Blue Light card in Bill’s restaurant in Leeds this morning for breakfast. Best breakfasts in town and 20% off food.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Anyone recommend any good places to eat in Manchester that except the blue light card ?

Going back up there next month for a couple of days

Doug the D

Distinguished Member
Anyone recommend any good places to eat in Manchester that except the blue light card ?

Going back up there next month for a couple of days
If you use the app, you can search for a location on the home page (map icon), you'll then see pushpins for that area, or you can choose to view a list of vendors in your chosen area instead:

IMG_0044.PNG
IMG_0045.PNG

Edit: this was taken from the Defence Discount Service app, I'm sure that the Blue Light scheme will have the exact same app - I believe both schemes are run by the same organisation.

mitchec1

Distinguished Member
Edit: this was taken from the Defence Discount Service app, I'm sure that the Blue Light scheme will have the exact same app - I believe both schemes are run by the same organisation.

They are exactly the same the wife has blue light card, I've the DDS card exactly the same benefits and they are both run by Blue Light Card Ltd.

Always worth checking what's available

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
We got £17 off at Prezzo at the weekend. Done that a few times and saving a lot.
The DDS is a great card to have, such a range of offers and discounts available.