Defective RX-V573?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by LastToKnow0, Aug 24, 2013.

1. LastToKnow0

LastToKnow0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a Yamaha RX-V573, and it doesn't seem to get along with some of my (6.1) speakers. These are speakers that all worked fine with my previous Onkyo receiver.

When all the speakers are connected, the unit will play sound normally for a minute or two, then will start buzzing, and then shut off.

If I disconnect both the left and right surround speakers, it works fine. If I disconnect just the left surround speaker, again it works fine. But if I disonnect just the right surround speaker, the problem happens.

This made me think that there was a short somewhere on the left surround speaker wire, but I've used several different wires, including banana plug wires, without fixing the problem. I've also tried connecting the right surround speaker to the left surround speaker terminals on the receiver, and the problem still happened. At this point I was thinking that the unit itself had some defect with the left surround speaker terminals, but as a last test I tried plugging the left surround speaker into the right surround speaker terminals, and the problem happened again!

To summarize:
    Left speaker + left terminal = buzz
    Right speaker + right terminal = works
    Left speaker + right terminal = buzz
    Right speaker + left terminal = buzz

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Or does it sound like a defective unit?

2. nenito2k

nenito2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    using my brain...if a av receiver does not display sound or shuts down....then it has a problem ! plain and simple.

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,433
    What speakers are they?

4. LastToKnow0

LastToKnow0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,433
    Those speakers should be fine with your receiver although it really deserves better to get the best form it.
    Have you tried the right speaker back on the right connection?
    Have you considered that the left speaker may be knackered and that this may have knackered the left surround amp and by moving the same damaged speaker to the right side you may have now damaged that amp too?

6. LastToKnow0

LastToKnow0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is a possibility, but all of the speakers still work correctly with the old amp. Is there something else I can check to ensure that the speaker itself isn't the problem? Otherwise I'm feeling pretty confident that the unit itself is borked and will will pursue a return.