• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Defecting to Virgin from Sky

gaz2810i

Prominent Member
Hey Guys,

I've been a sky customer for 5 years but I have just arranged an install for Virgin media :clap: Is there anything I should be thinking about, something that I may be disapointed by or happy with? Are all the V+ boxes and standard boxes the same or do I need to ask for specific ones? Have I done the right thing or do I need to cancel while I still can? :facepalm:

I have Sky HD with World and mutiroom W/ bt broadband (approx 1 mb download) and anytime minutes to landlines and I have signed up to the VIP package at Virgin.

Let me know if there is anything I should consider now I've made the plunge?

Cheers

gaz

telecom69

Established Member
You can't ask for specific boxes you get what the installer has on his van on the day,if you have opted for V+ you will get either SA (scientific atlanta)box or a Samsung,the latter being a bit quicker in response to the remote,but otherwise just as good, you won't be dissapointed with your descision thats for sure,I would definitely go for Virgin broadband though, its far superior ...

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
I'm back too on the 6th of February... been burned before though, so still feeling a little suspect.

Guess I'll be requesting a Samsung from the engineer.

Are we still limited to a single output from the V+ box..? I'd quite like to send the picture to my bedroom via the RF output as I do (did) from my Sky HD box.

Also, where are we with regards to upgrading the V+ hard disk? I've gotten quite used to my Sky HD's upgraded 1TB disk. I'm sure I stumbled across a thread declaring it possible.

gaz2810i

Prominent Member
I'm back too on the 6th of February... been burned before though, so still feeling a little suspect.

Guess I'll be requesting a Samsung from the engineer.

Are we still limited to a single output from the V+ box..? I'd quite like to send the picture to my bedroom via the RF output as I do (did) from my Sky HD box.

Also, where are we with regards to upgrading the V+ hard disk? I've gotten quite used to my Sky HD's upgraded 1TB disk. I'm sure I stumbled across a thread declaring it possible.

So it's a simple lottery as to which box you get? Are the SA and Sumsung the only two?

Kevin can you detail what happend, how did you get burned? Also if anybody can show us how it is possible to upgrade the HDD that would be great. I did this with my Sky HD box and if I could I would love to do it again but I didn't think it would be allowed seeing as VM own the boxes unlike sky? or am I wrong in this?

I am on the VIP package so I am supposedly getting a second standard box for the bedroom at no extra cost:clap:

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
To summarise, the broadband went to absolute hell and was messin' up my Xbox Live fun and Virgin's tech support was just insulting, I felt the changes to the V+ pricing were very unfair to existing customers, Virgin refused to offer me a Virgin Mobile without explanation and there was bugger all to watch in HD.

My final letter of complaint can be found here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/virgin-media/659712-bye-bye-virgin.html

This was also during the time Virgin had lost some of Sky's channels.

It seems things have improved in my two years away. Virgin now have a good amount of HD and the 50Mbps broadband is traffic management free and reports are generally very favourable (but the upload needs to be better IMO!).

I've had a google and there is some info of folk successfully sticking a 1TB drive in the Samsung STB. Check those digital spies. Its unfortunately been swamped with folk complaining about T&Cs and damaging other people's property and such like... :rolleyes:

gaz2810i

Prominent Member
I've been doing a bit of research and I can't seem to get a definant answer. What Broadband equipment do I get with the VIP package. Will I get a N dongle for my laptop for free? what router/modem will get?

m1stergeorge

Prominent Member
So it's a simple lottery as to which box you get? Are the SA and Sumsung the only two?

Kevin can you detail what happend, how did you get burned? Also if anybody can show us how it is possible to upgrade the HDD that would be great. I did this with my Sky HD box and if I could I would love to do it again but I didn't think it would be allowed seeing as VM own the boxes unlike sky? or am I wrong in this?

I'm afraid so - It depends entirely on what the engineer pulls out the back of his van and brings to your front door. It is going to be one of either the SA or Samsung though.

I'd be wary of upgrading the HDD though as the box still technically belongs to Virgin as you are 'renting' the box and they will take it back if you leave them. That and if it needed exchanging due to a fault then they will also find out that way.

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
You can always put the original drive back in before returning it. Looks like you do have to break a seal but that won't be checked until its back in the Virgin office and its forgotten which home it originally came from. The worst that can happen is they charge the 200 quid for the box, which of course you then insist you keep and flog on ebay. But once that box has left your house I can't see Virgin being able to charge you.

I remember a few years ago I had my TVDrive replaced, and the replacement came with a load of recordings on the drive. I seem to remember I could watch 'em too even though I wasn't a Sky Movies subscriber. Clearly the checks at Virgin's end aren't that thorough.

It is a little naughty and there is risk involved, down to personal choice really.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom