Defeating Region Coding

Ratoban

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just got a Panasonic E50 and want to do the obvious and " back up my DVD`s " (alright) so advice on any options open to me would be greatly appreciated.
Using a Limit 9900se to play dvd but @ present getting the run around from the recorder telling me it can`t do that.
HELP :confused:
Thanx.
Rob

Originally posted by Ratoban
Just got a Panasonic E50 and want to do the obvious and " back up my DVD`s " (alright) so advice on any options open to me would be greatly appreciated.
Using a Limit 9900se to play dvd but @ present getting the run around from the recorder telling me it can`t do that.
HELP :confused:
Thanx.
Rob

its not region coding that is the problem,its macrovision and something called cgms.
This can be defeated if you buy a special scart lead with built in circuitry to disable both macro and cgms.
Take a look at www.multiregionmagic.co.uk the lead they sell removes both (i have one) but they are on the expensive side,
around £49.

bugman

another option would be to buy a accoustic solutions 321 dvd player from richer sounds for £49. (it can be easily disabled via the handset). The picture quality isn't great from this player though.

If the picture quality of your limit is pretty good, I would go the macro scart lead solution mentioned by bugman. (this gives the added bonus of working with any source not just dvd...i.e vhs).

Thanx for the replies the lead certainly fits the bill.
1st thing 2morrow on the phone
:p
Rob

yes m8 the lead from Multiregionmagic is good as you can back up R1 with that as well.

However, I'm sure you must be able to disable macro and CGMS on your Limit somehow through a secret menu perhaps ?

yes I do it all the time on my E20.

Set Input as NTSC and away you go. BTW It only does this with the scart from multiregion.
Oh and you must set output from your source player as NTSC as you don't want onboard NTSC to PAL60 conversion going on. "E" series recorders can't handle that and the results are cr*p. Stick to NTSC and it's all cool.

what player are you playing from

my second player is a tosh 210 i do not think i can set that to ntsc

Sony NS900. Plays NTSC as NTSC and PAL as PAL.

Not familiar with your Toshiba I'm afraid, it maybe cos it's converting NTSC to PAL 60. When you are trying what is going wrong with your recordngs m8 ?

I've just done xXx R3, Fifth Element R1 and Clash Of the Titans R1. Works fine for me.

Cheap cable will get B/W or cannot record message on your E recorder.

i had a different gadget

but when i tried to back up r1 dvds my e30 just said copyright of this material is not permitted

Thanx 4 the help ordered a lead this morning get it 2 morrow. Now what else can i buy...........
rob

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom