1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Default Input

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by slewis, Jul 18, 2005.

1. slewis

slewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whenever I turn my new Panasonic TH-42PA50E on, it selects TV channel 1. However, I have no TV aerial to receive terrestrial TV, so I exclusively use my Sky+ box which is connected via AV1. So each time I turn the TV on, I have to select AV1. Can anyone tell me how I can persuade the TV to always start on AV1?

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Set up menu : Power on Preference set from TV to AV1 ;)

3. slewis

slewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ekko

How I was hoping you were right ... but I can't find that option on the Setup menu. The only options on that menu are:

Q-Link
    AV2out
    Teletext
    Off timer
    Text language
    Side Panel
    Power save
    Tuning menu
    OSD language

Perhaps they've hidden it somewhere else on my model?

4. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Does it not auto switch when you turn the sat box on.....???
    Do plasma's not have auto swicthing on their scart inputs.

5. slewis

slewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my sky+ box connected via an AV amp (Pioneer VSX D-2011), which only has component and composite inputs. Since the Sky+ box only has Scart outputs, I've connected one of them to a composite input on the amp and a composite output on the amp to the panel. Perhaps the amp doesn't pass the switching signals through, or, more likely, the composite wires don't carry the switching signal. Also, I'm sure I read somewhere else that even if I could get it working so it switched, it would only switch if the Sky+ box is powered up after the panel which more of a fag than simply pressing the TV/AV button everytime!

6. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    As you may or may have not read already on here.....that is not the best way to connect the sky box.
    Totally wasting the PQ of the RGB sky box.
    Can you not try connecting the box to the TV via the scart lead.
    2 plus points then.....not only should it auto switch, but the PQ will be amazing.
    Composite connection via the amp does not have a switching signal....it will only switch if connected via scart (i think).

I dont have much experiance or knowledge with scart sockets on plama TV's.
    At the moment i use a Toshiba RPTV and that works a treat.
    If the sky box is already on then as soon as i turn the TV on, it detects the signal and switches to AV1....if the sky box is off then the TV will start up on the last selected channel, untill i turn the sky box or DVD player on and then it will switch to the appropriate input.

Maybe if someone else is reading this and can tell us whether this would be the same with a plasma panel.
    I'm thinking of changeing to a plasma, but if it dont support scart switching, i think i will pass at the moment.....specially with all the probs that keep getting posted.

7. slewis

slewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok ... so if I upgrade all my connections to fully wire my amp to the best quality connections I have on each of my components. I'm faced with a different problem. The amp doesnt do signal conversion, it just synchronises the audio and video source inputs/outputs so you watch the same thing you're listening to. So I will need to have: component connections from my DVD player to my amp, and component from my amp to my panel; svideo from my Sky+ box to my amp (which doesnt have scart) and svideo from my amp to my panel (which doesnt have svideo) via a Scart adaptor; composite video from my VCR to my amp and composite video from my amp to my panel. I assume that not all of them (if any) carry these switching signals to tell the panel to switch to the appropriate input when I switch the source on the amp. So, how will my panel know which of these sources I want to watch? Am I still faced with having to select my source via the amp, and now not only switch the TV to AV, but also, depending on the source, sometimes switch it to AV1, AV2, or AV3?

8. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    just connect the sky box with a good RGB scart lead :confused:

9. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A Scart system works by detecting 12 volts on pin 8. In other words, if, say, the VCR is ON then it puts 12 volts on pin 8 to tell the TV .Likewise the Sky Digibox does the same. if it's ON it invites the TV or VCR to look at it by putting 12 volts on pin 8 (or 6 volts if widescreen transmission).

Obviously, if you have more than one piece of equipment running at any one time, they will be fighting for attention. The answer is to switch one off or to disconnect pin 8 and select it manually ("AV in") when required.

Alternatively, use a Scart Switching boxes to select manually the input that you require.

10. slewis

slewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the good news is that I connected my panel to the Sky+ box with a "good RGB Scart lead" and it DOES automatically switch to that input. However, the bad news is that I also connected my DVD player to my amp and amp to my panel with component cables, and the panel doesnt automatically switch to the amp component output when I select the DVD player on the amp.

So I can confirm that my panel does automatically switch to Sky+ if it;s directly connected via Scart, but I'm starting to think that this kit is designed for people who dont have non-technical wives (or husbands) and in-laws.

My wife doesnt find this very amusing (consider yourselves lucky if you're single). I don't remind her how much all this kit cost. I really don't mind having to manually select the component input from the DVD player, or the RGB Scart input from Sky+ to get the best quality picture. I also don't mind making duplicate redundant connections to those devices. But what I really want is to allow my wife to use the amp to select the source and to watch that source via the perfectly good composite video input when I'm not there. To do that, ALL I need is the ability to control which input the panel selects when it's turned on.

So if there's no way to select a default input for the amp, but the amp does respond to 12v on pin 8. My amp output is composite video and I use a composite/Scart adaptor to connect that to the panel. Can anyone tell me if there's a way I can fool the panel by hotwiring the composite/Scart adaptor to get 12v on pin 8?

PLEASE!

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    It can be done, but you might not enjoy it, way too much hassle! For me anyway. Component does not carry the switching signal either. What I have seen done, with and without the scart 'hot wire' trick, is to switch the DVD to RGB scart instead of component, and use a RGB and sync scart adapter, connecting this to component in and composite, now connect the component and composite outputs on the amp to a RGB and sync input scart adapter (different from an output one) and now you are switching RGB and sync with the amp, provided it does not auto upconvert. You lose out on progressive scan from the DVD, but it's not a huge big deal, kinda icing on the cake rather than the be all and end all.
    If you now connect the pin 8 and ground of the sky scart to the AV1 in on plasma, it will turn on, switch to AV1, and display RGB and sync, ie RGB scart from the amp source. As an alternative to this, your amp may have a 12v trigger. (not an arcam dealer, don't know)
    This is all a lot of fuss and bother mind you. What I'd do is use a JS RGB to component converter for sky, connect only component video to the plasma, and either get an all in one remote, and program it to do the switch on, or teach the missus to switch the plasma to component video every time.

12. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Theres no idiot proof way im afraid in the quest for av heaven.

I have 3 setups in different rooms and i still have to think carefully,what to press on the remote & i installed them :)

Mind you my 9 year old comes to the rescue,a couple of clicks from him and all is well :D

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    LOL my kids can work my system with no pronto, not quite sure if I'd remember how.

14. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just typed a load of stuff and then deleted having noticed at the bottom of MAWs post that he'd mentioned using a Scart to Component convertor so that the amp feeds component to the plasma for all sources.

You can then use the macro feature of the D2011 remote such that the TV on button does "power on", "input to component". Your wife won't even notice or have to worry. As far as she's concerned she's just turning it on.

15. slewis

slewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all .. am rapidly coming to the conclusion that a smart remote is really my best hope.