def tech pro cinema 80 or b&w vm1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by wilmer, Dec 18, 2002.

1. wilmer

wilmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at buying a 5.1 speaker set up . looking to spend about £800, i have had a demo of the celestion av 305 sub speaker package, and Imo i thought they were better than the kef eggs.I have the chance of buying the def tech 80 po cinema speaker package , these are xdem for £800 normaly £1000.
    I have not had a listen to them or really know much about them, any one own these or heard them are they worth a listen. I am am also interested in the b&w vm1 can not seem to find a review . has any one compard these with speakers around the £800 price point. I will be listening to music and home cinema about 50/50 . any help please.

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
    I have 2 VM1's as rears and as of tomorrow will have another 3 for my fronts. A baby on the way means getting rid of my 601's and LCR60, and going for a sub/sat setup along with my existing REL Q150.

I have tried the VM1's as front both with AV and music and am hugely impressed. I was contemplating the Gallo Micros but found the cost prohibitive, for an additional £337 I've got 3 extra VM1's and IMHO they are easily the match of the Micros with more to offer in terms of bass (hardly surprising). I accept that the Micros are far more discrett but love the look of the VM1 - they also have a massive WAF over the existing stand-mounts.

I'll be wall-mounting all three at the front and freeing up a fair bit of floor space as well.

I'me never quite sure why the VM1's haven;t been reviewed more often and against things like the Kef Eggs - similar prices, and superior performance to my ears.

3. wilmer

wilmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Radiohead did you try the matching sub for the b&w vm1,I see you have a rel sub, did the rel sound a lot better than the vm1 own sub. also what av amp are u using

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I used to use the Def Tech satellites with a REL subwoofer and found it to be excellent. Others that have heard both have stated that they are better than KEF eggs.

I still have the front three speakers in white knocking about somewhere.

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    All three opinions are positive :)

7. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
    Never tried the B&W sub as I already had the REL and I'm very happy with that. I'm running a Marantz SR7200 amp.

I'm just about to fit the VM1's in my lounge now, so will report back later.

:)

8. klee

klee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. wilmer

wilmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to have a listen to the B&w VM1 and the def tech,s in the new year , i will let u all know how they compare.