Deezer HiFi Streaming Service Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Phil Hinton, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,667
      • Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    2. Diagnosticz

Diagnosticz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +462
      Thanks for the review i was once thinking of using deezer or google play before i decided on Spotify. Even though Spotify has its connect problems now and then, the music quality is great. you have a vast database of music, it gives you weekly albums of the type of music you like new and old. A good search engine, its Hard to beat Spotify

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    3. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +378
      I have been an off and on user with Deezer for a few years now. Basically a binge user.. I renew my subscription. Stay with them for a couple of months ,realise I might go a week without listening( like just now ), then cancel , go cold turkey and eventually succumb and rejoin. . I was previously with Spotify free, but the jingles inviting one to join were so irritating i left. On Deezer the jingles are \ were more polite. Song wise probably Spotify has the edge, but Deezer may have more classical stuff, reflecting their French heritage.
      240 euro a year is a lot of money for what is basically CD quality. , It will buy quite a lot of those shiney discs . .. especially from the Charity shops and bargain basement bins. 120 per year for standard premium is wearable, but doubling it is a bit rich.
      If someone is addicted to novelty, and wants to hear new music and bands all the time, then the attraction of streaming is obvious, but for older fogies like me, crave the familiar and I find myself streaming the same music and musicians again and again

4. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +183
      That's me as well. Went with Spotify, then gave up and rejoined twice, then Deezer on and off. Then I thought why am I wasting so much money when 99% of the music I'm streaming I have on racks in my front room. I've now ripped and uploaded to Google Play, it may not be CD quality but I'm not throwing money down the drain.

5. awayeah

awayeah

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      About the comment that if you are already user of Tidal HiFi or Qobuz, there's no reason to switch to Deezer...
      Well, there is, at least when you're subscribing to Tidal as I was for years now (first Wimp, then Tidal).
      Tidal has far less songs and albums than Deezer and there's less and less, each day. From let say 100 albums starred by me during my time with Tidal, 50 are now not available (incl. for example all of Chesky Records albums).
      Spotify and Deezer seem to have much more stable library but unfortunately Spotify is inferior in sound quality even when compared to lossy variant of Tidal and Deezer (though not as bad as Apple Music).
      I've tried Qobuz for a while but it's not widely available (in my country for example it's not available :/ ) and I'm also pretty sure it does not provide such rich library as Deezer and Spotify, though it does sounds good.

Anyhow, there's no perfect streaming service at this moment. Deezer does not allow you to stream lossless on mobile devices... Why? Only Deezer know (it took them very long time to bring even the best lossy option to mobile devices, so we might wait a while before they'll allow us to use the best quality on our smartphones).

For not, I'm sticking with Deezer. Tidal would be my last choice because of their continuously shrinking library - they should at least have the decency to inform us about that an apologize (they wrote to me in September 2017, that Chesky Records will soon be available again - 8 months ago...).

6. malcolmduffin

malcolmduffin

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +13
      Been having all sorts of glitch problems with Deezer recently. First a really annoying 'api auth' error reading that basically logged you out and only way to fix was to repeatedly delete app and then load again. Meant you lost all your offline playlists. Deezer after 2 months finally fixed but in upgrade a new Bluetooth fault has appeared which means whenever you use in that mode (say in car) it suddenly logs you out and then doesn't recognise your log in details - so you have to go to website and request whole new password and then go back to phone / device and log in. Only for it to all happen again next time you go Bluetooth. Deezer (after waiting 2 days for support to get back) acknowledge the problem, apologise and say they are working on it. But no refund - so basically now paying for a service that is not giving me all I'm paying for. If hadn't paid a year up front (with decent discount) I'd be checking out Quboz and Tidal now. Shame as really like it in many other respect. But nothing beats Spotify's user interface in my view - its miles ahead of the others. Should they go lossless I'd be back like a shot

7. danielpugh

danielpugh

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +19
      trialed deezer yesterday - played pink ployd darkside of the moon (streaming from android)
      between album tracks = not gapless
      unsubscribed

have been using google music (uploading my own tracks) - works well apart from
      no gapless

spotify has gapless on albums i believe, but a quality ceiling and i cant access my own music if i decide to unsubscribe

suddenly thinking i want my library + occasional streaming
      tempted by roon which would be good, but only works with tidal (too expensive) and no client for my nvidia shield

so now looking for an option - suspect it might be back to logitech media server again which can plugin spotify...

8. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +378
      I use Deezer on a paid subscription and have no difficulty on this gapless concept at all. I asked a question about it previously, but did not understand the answer. My experience is that Deezer is identical to playing either a CD or from prehistory a vinyl LP. There is a gap of a few seconds between tracks on the same album , just as there would be with a CD . If there is a long passage as in as classical piece, it plays it in full , so what is the problem??.
      If I were to select tracks from different albums there will be a short delay while it hunts down the new file, just as there would be in getting a web page to load.

9. danielpugh

danielpugh

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +19
      Hi,

Cd's and vinyl (and tapes) do _not_ add a gap. e.g. pink Floyd's dark side of the moon, live music, DJ mix sets.
      The same is true of lots of desktop software such as winamp, plexamp, etc. The same is true of Logitech media server. The same is true for Spotify and tidal.

The problem I (and many others) have is not with randomly assembled lists but with e.g. vinyl/cd of live performance which would play as one long continuous stream but Deezer (and others) add an extra gap. The same as if say if you were watching a movie and the dvd added a gap between each chapter...

The same problem is evident in audio books, mood cd's etc etc. Once you realise the problem it becomes an issue when listening as you realise it's entirely avoidable. Specifically around the millennium I remember the same issue with desktop software (e.g. iTunes and others) and mp3. Software makers and Devs tried to say it wasn't needed despite many asking for it and the feature existing in their competitors. Mainly (I believe) because it's harder to program than expected and they have lots of feature requests and limited time. In the main the problem was fixed which is why if you Google gapless playback android you find many players with features - but they play locally not stream. Eventually the Devs will get round to adding the feature to streaming service that lack the feature (it's technically possible because it already exists as per examples above). However as it's a key feature for me and others provide this feature I personally have to opt for a service that provides it.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018