Deep Space Nine: A Re-evaluation.

@brian s - I'm happy to crowdfund for you on here to have this Box Set!

I'll donate £5 to the cause immediately if anyone else will join in.

In all honesty, you're going about this completely the wrong way from a value for money perspective, even though you already own two Seasons. It is far cheaper, easier and more convenient just to buy the Box Set.

Also, the human memory is a very fickle thing. Leaving aside your cancer treatment and recovery for the moment, I've found in my experience that my judgement is about 50/50 regarding what I remember liking or not liking - my mood, the circumstances when viewing, whether I was with someone else at the time, my health, even my maturity - all kinds of variables come into play when assessing something.

I'm sure you've read through all of this Thread, so you'll see that the consensus is the show picks up from Season 4 onward. The first three Seasons have some excellent individual episodes, but the level of consistency, writing, quality and drama increase enormously from this point on.

Look, it's your money and your decision, but I'm still happy to help out financially as you've been very generous towards me. Have a think about it and try not to be too proud! :)

Seasons 4/5/6 are the high points with The Dominion War.

The final season really just ties up a lot of things and has some excellent standalone episodes. but after the pace of the previous seasons is a bit more relaxed.

Season 7 is still pretty full on Dominion War wise, It has its share of relaxed episodes but every season did, including seasons 4,5&6. The final 10 episodes in particular are like one big movie (or 5 two parters).

Thank you so much @Derek S-H ,@VisionMan ,@scrowe and @zantarous . I'm actually quite overwhelmed. I can't possibly accept your extremely kind gestures. I'd feel incredibly guilty if I hated much of the set.

Cheers
Bri
Nooo!:(

It doesn't matter to me whether you hated it or not, I'm happy to take that risk.

As far as I'm concerned, £5 is a tiny contribution, easily affordable and I really wouldn't notice it at all.

I ask you, when you buy gifts for friends or family, do you worry about whether they'll like it or not once you've done it? Do you still feel responsible for their reaction after you've handed it over?

If the answer is no to those questions, then this is the same situation, I think. But you can't force someone to do what they don't want to do, all you can do is perhaps persuade them of the merits of your case.

You are perfectly entitled to turn us down, but I hope you manage to acquire the Box Set one day and work your way through it. It really got me through the first lockdown successfully.:)

Nooo!:(

It doesn't matter to me whether you hated it or not, I'm happy to take that risk.

As far as I'm concerned, £5 is a tiny contribution, easily affordable and I really wouldn't notice it at all.

I ask you, when you buy gifts for friends or family, do you worry about whether they'll like it or not once you've done it? Do you still feel responsible for their reaction after you've handed it over?

If the answer is no to those questions, then this is the same situation, I think. But you can't force someone to do what they don't want to do, all you can do is perhaps persuade them of the merits of your case.

You are perfectly entitled to turn us down, but I hope you manage to acquire the Box Set one day and work your way through it. It really got me through the first lockdown successfully.:)
Again thank you to all of you who who made this incredibly kind gesture. I was stunned when I saw the posts on Saturday and simply didn't know what to say. I'm still a bit lost for words if truth be known.

Another thing is just the sheer number of episodes. Even if I watch a couple of them every single week it'd probably take something like 18 months to get through them. I might not necessarily last that long. During one of my cancer survivor meetings I happened upon the stat which said I only had a 55% chance of living for 5 years following my all clear. I've beaten that and I don't feel like I'm going to drop down dead any moment but that could change.

I had a big health problem last year. Not life threatening but it knocked me back a lot. I'm getting myself sorted again and I'm exercising a lot. I've just had the test results of a hospital check up which said I'm fine but I have to give up smoking. That's a huge problem for me seeing as I don't smoke in the first place. I'm wondering if I should start so that I can give it up. Maybe it'll be ok to continue not smoking. 😆

I'll continue watching season 2 and if I get away with it I'll consider buying the complete series set. By the time I finish the second season it might have come down in price.

Bri

@brian s - There are 176 episodes of "DS9", so if you watch one a night you'll be done in less than six months. In fact, there are a few two-parters, so I planned my viewing to make sure I could watch those back-to-back.

It is a truly great show and I hope you do get to see it in your lifetime, I'm glad I did!:)

@brian s - There are 176 episodes of "DS9", so if you watch one a night you'll be done in less than six months. In fact, there are a few two-parters, so I planned my viewing to make sure I could watch those back-to-back.

It is a truly great show and I hope you do get to see it in your lifetime, I'm glad I did!:)
Oh there's no way I'd watch that many episodes Derek. I don't even watch that many episodes of shows I love. I recently got through all of the colour episodes of Callan. One of the all time greats. I probably only watched at 3 to 4 a week at most. I also have the last season of Voyager to watch and I'll be getting the first 4 films on 4K at some point. That's in addition to anything else I buy and my unwatched pile.

Bri

Oh there's no way I'd watch that many episodes Derek. I don't even watch that many episodes of shows I love. I recently got through all of the colour episodes of Callan. One of the all time greats. I probably only watched at 3 to 4 a week at most. I also have the last season of Voyager to watch and I'll be getting the first 4 films on 4K at some point. That's in addition to anything else I buy and my unwatched pile.

Bri
Well, you'd better crack on, young man, we both do - we don't know how much longer we'll be here!;)

Brian I maybe be able to assist a little if you like? back in the day when I was collecting the DVD hard cases I manged to get some duplicates.
Now I cannot speak for there condition as I never watched them all being duplicates, but basically I have spare season's 1/5 of Deep Space Nine if you'd like them just PM me your address & I'll get them posted to you as they are just taking up space, upto you Sir.

20210913_171406.jpg

Just no complaing about disk quality if you would like as these were all brought second hand :D:)

P.s. Bravo 👏 to all the kind offers above as it really was lovely reading.

Last edited:
Brian I maybe be able to assist a little if you like? back in the day when I was collecting the DVD hard cases I manged to get some duplicates.
Now I cannot speak for there condition as I never watched them all being duplicates, but basically I have spare season's 1/5 of Deep Space Nine if you'd like them just PM me your address & I'll get them posted to you as they are just taking up space, upto you Sir.

View attachment 1570063

Just no complaing about disk quality if you would like as these were all brought second hand :D:)

P.s. Bravo 👏 to all the kind offers above as it really was lovely reading.
Wow that's incredibly kind of you. My season one set played ok and I already have season four which was a new copy but the rest would be great.

Bri

Wow that's incredibly kind of you. My season one set played ok and I already have season four which was a new copy but the rest would be great.

Bri
Your most welcome Sir 👍

@KiLLiNG-TiME - I knew the Forum would come good for Brian somehow!

Thank you so much for your generous offer!:clap:

And I remember those huge plastic cases. I had the entire "TNG" set until the Blu-Ray's arrived, then they were gone in a shot!

@brian s - taking pride of place next to your "The Champions" Box Set!

Feel free to update the Thread as and when you watch the show.:)
I thought you might spot that. I had intended to update my thoughts on it so far but never got round to it. The fact that I went for season 2 after watching most of the first says something. I am getting away with it more than I recall from first time round. I've actually watched the first four episodes of season 2. I'll try and post with a bit more detail when I have a bit more time.

I told my wife about @KiLLiNG-TiME 's generosity and the offers from so many to help me buy the entire series. She was incredibly touched and says thank you.

Bri

I told my wife about @KiLLiNG-TiME 's generosity and the offers from so many to help me buy the entire series. She was incredibly touched and says thank you.
Brian, your wife is welcome on the Forum anytime!;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom