Deep Space Nine: A Re-evaluation.

taposh

Coming off the back of my DS9 rewatch I'm about 6-7 episodes into Voyager. Since its' initial broadcast I've only watched a handful of episodes in the intervening 20 years. And I have to say I'm finding it really turgid. I know there are highlights later on and how do I wish they'd made it the gritty survival show it was meant to be.

Finding these early episodes really bland, space-adventure of the week stories. If they didn't mention it you'd have no idea these were other side of the galaxy adventures. Given this was after TNG and DS9 I'm surprised how weak these early episodes are.

RebelsScum

It's a common mistake that people make. Star Trek is a show about Starfleet which is the galactic peacekeeping arm of The Federation, which comprises planets and races that have agreed to abide by common idealisms. But the Galaxy outside of Federation Membership still has money, and morally questionable values, deeds. Citing religion is an interesting one, because I don't think religion is done away with inside the Federation, albeit they are very science-heavy. But certainly Bajor is NOT a member of the Federation, nor is Cardassia. Starfleet have agreed to 'police' Bajor and the surrounding space, whilst they recover from the occupation by Cardassia, so Strafleet is delivering humanitarian aid, and of course there is some willingness from Bajor to join the Federation over time, which Starfleet will also monitor. And there is no idea that Bajor would have to forego their religious beliefs to join the Federation.

About religion, something which often gets overlooked is a line from Data’s Day. When reciting some events about the day among birthdays and transfers and promotions Data also mentions the Hindu Festival of Lights celebrations taking place on the ship. It's a throwaway line bit but it infers religion is still a part of human culture and traditions are still observed, even within Starfleet and the Federation.

techted

Standard Member
Have hit the Trials and Tribble-ations episode so of course had to watch the original TOS episode and then the DS9 one. Great back to back episodes to watch.

One of my favourite episodes. It was really amazing how they were able to mesh together the old footage with the new.

Midnight Falcon

It’s been years since I watched DS9 but back in the day it was my favourite Trek, Along with Babylon 5 I loved the fact that they were telling an over-arching story that spanned the entire run of the show, something that was relatively new in sci-fI at the time,

Avery Brooks was fantastic as Sisko, particularly after they made him a captain, he brought a real authoritative presence to the role, you did NOT want a dressing down from this Captain. Hell I think he even intimidated Worf when the need arose.

Think I might follow this example and go for a re-watch..

VisionMan

Distinguished Member
Avery Brooks was fantastic as Sisko, particularly after they made him a captain, he brought a real authoritative presence to the role, you did NOT want a dressing down from this Captain. Hell I think he even intimidated Worf when the need arose.

No need to think about it. He DID intimidate Worf and then often gave him captaincy of the Defiant.
Great leadership. Great Captain. Heck, great series. Yes, my favourite.

FavouredAntelope

I love the original post and can't wait to read the rest of this thread more closely. DS9 is by far and away my favourite Trek. I watched it at a formative age in my teens and loved the politics and complexity - still think it does things no other Trek series has. It is definitely due a rewatch, although I'm a little scared it won't stand up as well as I hope. I also had an enormous crush on Terry Farrell's Dax, was this normal?

Last edited:

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I love the original post and can't wait to read the rest of this thread more closely. DS9 is by far and away my favourite Trek. I watched it at a formative age in my teens and loved the politics and complexity - still think it does things no other Trek series has. It is definitely due a rewatch, although I'm a little scared it won't stand up as well as I hope. I also had an enormous crush on Terry Farrell's Dax, was this normal?
No, it'll still be good as you remember, probably even better.

And yes, it was normal to have a crush on Terry Farrell as she was gorgeous, even in fuzzy SD!

VisionMan

Distinguished Member
In my opinion the Alpha Quadrant Dominion war was epic. How many races did it involve? And for what? Oh yes... the Dominion must have their piece of pie. Why? Because it's there. Well, they didn't get it.

Truly epic and my favorite Trek series. And I preferred him with a beard. :D

RebelsScum

Well the Founders considered the Alpha Quadrant a threat and as the female Founder once put it “What you control can’t hurt you”.

The latest video from AVForums

Bowers PI7 wireless in-ear headphones review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom