Deep Rock Galactic (X1)

This released yesterday, and has a 2 hr demo, i really enjoyed it.

4 player co-op, you go mining, and collect minerals, bugs to shoot, you have a robot minecart follow you round and a flying robot helper, really enjoyed it, gutted when demo ended.

£20 to buy.

You can go alone or i presume its better with co-op as each character compliments each other with different abilities.

Has the usual upgrades and skins. Looks a bit rough but certainly playable.

This released yesterday, and has a 2 hr demo, i really enjoyed it.

4 player co-op, you go mining, and collect minerals, bugs to shoot, you have a robot minecart follow you round and a flying robot helper, really enjoyed it, gutted when demo ended.

£20 to buy.

You can go alone or i presume its better with co-op as each character compliments each other with different abilities.

Has the usual upgrades and skins. Looks a bit rough but certainly playable.

I enjoyed the demo as well. I thought it would be another survival/minecrafty kind of thing but it was really good fun and while it had elements of those genres, it didn't feel identical to any of them.

Like you said a little rough around the edges but still in development and looks promising.

Have bought it as can be had for about £6 from Russia and I'm sure I'll get that much out of it from what I've played so far.

Sorry but you knew it was coming...... how from russia?

Ive bough from foreign stores before, with revolut? same way?

Sorry but you knew it was coming...... how from russia?

Ive bough from foreign stores before, with revolut? same way?

Easiest way from Russia is buying credit unless you want to go through the VPN method.

Game is 449Ru, I've used these before with no problems Buy Xbox Live Gift Card (RU) - Online Code Delivery

Note, it's cheaper to buy 2x 250Ru cards then 1x 500Ru. If you pay using paypal there's small transaction fee but it should still come in under £7.

I gave the trial a go with a few friends but was disappointed by it, there didn't seem much variety in the missions into the caverns which as they're procedurally generated lack any specific design. Although the engine was quite flexible in being able to mine it all there didn't seem to be much you could do with the basic rock such as build any fortifications or structures to assist.

I found the ammo particularly frustrating though as it seems unfair to have unlimited enemies even between the swarms with limited ammo on weapons that overheat and have lengthy reloads in some cases. The first time I played I just shot stuff then was massacred on the first swarm as I ran out of ammo so the next time I was trying to kill everything with the pick axe which quickly gets annoying given the amount of enemies there are. The resource for the supply drops seems reasonably rare and doesn't actually give that much ammo either. I found it discouraged exploring because we'd run out of ammo on the first swam, frantically try to find more nitra to be ready for the next swarm and perhaps making it but then just couldn't enough for the next swarm.

Two hours feels a bit short as it doesn't give any taste of upgrades or similar, perhaps it gets better in that regard.

Edit - Decided it was worth a go from the Russian store but I'm stuck on pending confirmation on MTCgames despite the system saying I was confirmed and xbox Live seems to be down :(

John

Last edited:
Finally managed to get this on the Russian store and played it for a few hours tonight but getting pretty frustrated with it, I've had to abandon just about every mission due to glitches with the game and it's really frustrating that after carefully harvesting all the resources you get heavily penalised for that by having everything stripped from you.

Out of around eight hours of play, I've got almost nothing to show for it after I've had two escapes thwarted by the drop pod spawning in solid rock (followed the mule only to watch it and its lights disappear into solid rock), several occasions where I've hit a dead end with no way out and a couple where the spawning has gone completely crazy and I've got stuck in the collision of the bigger enemies.

The enemies themselves are extremely irritating in the way they can magically spawn anywhere and they can go straight through rock as well plus the fact you can't clear out an area so they just keep on spawning. Which means the longer you spend, the more of a problem it is thanks to the chronically limited ammo and no easy way to replenish it.

I've been trying it on the PC as well which it runs very well on and the basics of the game are good, I keep thinking I'll try once more but then end up just wasting more time as I lose out due to yet another glitch.

John

Finally managed to get this on the Russian store and played it for a few hours tonight but getting pretty frustrated with it, I've had to abandon just about every mission due to glitches with the game and it's really frustrating that after carefully harvesting all the resources you get heavily penalised for that by having everything stripped from you.

Out of around eight hours of play, I've got almost nothing to show for it after I've had two escapes thwarted by the drop pod spawning in solid rock (followed the mule only to watch it and its lights disappear into solid rock), several occasions where I've hit a dead end with no way out and a couple where the spawning has gone completely crazy and I've got stuck in the collision of the bigger enemies.

The enemies themselves are extremely irritating in the way they can magically spawn anywhere and they can go straight through rock as well plus the fact you can't clear out an area so they just keep on spawning. Which means the longer you spend, the more of a problem it is thanks to the chronically limited ammo and no easy way to replenish it.

I've been trying it on the PC as well which it runs very well on and the basics of the game are good, I keep thinking I'll try once more but then end up just wasting more time as I lose out due to yet another glitch.

John

I think there's definitely some balancing issues with it at the moment as well as the glitches. I haven't played as much as you have yet so you've probably found more of the problems than I have.

I watched a vid by ACG and was under the impression that enemies could only get in through holes and not just spawn in, not entirely clear whether they can burrow through though which would explain the just appearing situation.

Have you been playing solo as apart from the first mission, I've only played coop which I suspect makes for a much more balanced game in its current state. Playing on the X and has run fine so far.

The ACG vid for reference

Enemies can teleport, spawn wherever they want and they can walk straight through walls - they don't burrow and leave their own tunnels. If you choose a cave with one entrance they will still spawn around you and come straight through the walls, it makes any sort of strategy worthless. The behaviour is apparently intentional as they're meant to be burrowing creatures but the way they can just clip straight through anything is unfair. They really need a lot of work so their spawns are more sensible, perhaps having 'nest' areas you have to go in and destroy to stop them spawning. This just spawning all over the place, walking straight through walls and charging up to you isn't fun anyway and worse so when the ammo is so scarce.

I've just had to abandon yet another mission which I'm convinced didn't spawn properly either, it was an egg collection one with the most basic settings and I got through the caves fine but it looks like one egg just didn't spawn. I spent nearly two hours going back and forth on the level trying to find the missing egg and redigging between caverns to make sure I had found all empty spaces with no success until my idiot of a mule got itself stuck in a tunnel with me and completely trapped me when the swarm came. So I died, lost everything making yet another two hours a complete waste of time as is most time with this game.

It's frustrating as some of the game can be fun but knowing it's possibly all going to be for absolutely nothing really spoils it.

I decided it's only fair to try it in co-op and it works a lot better than I remember it doing during the trial, the flares seem to stack so it's a lot easier to find your way about and in the larger caves the resources seem more generous as we were easily over our limit each time. I earned more in a single game than ten games on my own.

I decided it's only fair to try it in co-op and it works a lot better than I remember it doing during the trial, the flares seem to stack so it's a lot easier to find your way about and in the larger caves the resources seem more generous as we were easily over our limit each time. I earned more in a single game than ten games on my own.

That's what I suspected, I think the game in its current state is heavily stacked in favour of co-op play. The solo play from your experience needs some serious balancing.

Reading these comments its a shame, but it is early access, and we should expect bugs.

I think ill still have a pop if i can get for £6, it can only get better.

Reading these comments its a shame, but it is early access, and we should expect bugs.

I think ill still have a pop if i can get for £6, it can only get better.

I wouldn't be too put off at this stage as it is as you said early access, there's bugs and balancing issues but I've still had fun. I can see plenty of potential there.

Is it split screen couch co-op?

I don't regret paying six pounds for it (although wish that was the standard price get more friends onto it), my frustration with the game is more from the fact I do like a lot of what they've done and want to play it.

As I'd only played it for a short while on co-op then went onto solo, I hadn't appreciated how much tougher solo is to the degree I don't really think it's worth playing as it can be difficult to finish a level and it means you gain nothing. In solo it's all very dark and at times difficult to see but in co-op the lighting effects seem to stack so it's much brighter and far easier to see where to go.

My GT is JohnMcL7, I'm on at irregular times but definitely up for some co-op on this.

John

I've played this for the evening in co-op and it's a different game, I'd say at the moment it's not worth playing solo as it's just annoying and you start boring people on forums with moaning. Even aside from some of the balance issues in solo, it's just a lot more fun going through the caverns as a group and feels much less of a drag.

The only slight issues I've had is that I joined in a game late on so didn't know the cavern, someone called the drop pod while at the bottom of a pit (argh!) and I got trapped trying to get up when one of the big monsters spawned on me. I got kicked after that I guess because I looked rubbish. Better yet on the next one I also joined near the end, picked up the large crystalline object (the one you dig behind the black eye looking things for) and when I was walking to the mule, it just disappeared leaving my hands out with nothing. Then my hands disappeared although I managed to bring up a weapon, bizarrely sprint and reload weren't working although everything else was. Needless to say I couldn't make it to the drop pod and got kicked after that one as well.

One big tip I'd say is that when you finish loading all the materials and you're calling the escape pod, climb back up the caverns as much as possible as that way you know the escape pod will spawn in front of you and it should be easy to follow the cavern. If you call it further into the level it can spawn forward or back and trying to climb a deep pit while being hammered by enemies can be difficult. The gunner's grapple ropes make traversing these areas much easier.

The mule will go straight to the escape pod and it will leave flashing green beacons behind but it can be misleading as it can go straight up the shafts left by the supply pods (apparently the engineer's platform gun can block these holes and stop the mule doing this). Also be careful if the mule is going down, I saw it go through a wall I thought must be thin so I dug it out and fell straight to my death.

I've not verified this but apparently objective materials (primary and secondary) don't count for anything after you've reached the target so there's no point mining them. It is worthwhile mining gold or any of the level specific rare materials though.

There are some 'patterns' which mean there's an object behind there, if you see a lot of small black spheres dig in further and you should be able to find a large crystalline sphere. Similarly if you see small crystal fleks that can be green, purple or gold (and others possibly) again mine into it and you should find a large item the same colour.

This is a super fun game and for £20 it's a no brainer, I bought it yesterday and every single co-op game has been really good.

IGN 9/10 (PC reviewed)

PofnTj5F.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom