Question Deep Color on Oppo BDP-103 (not D) + Panny PT-AE8000

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hishamk, Dec 21, 2016.

1. hishamk

hishamk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out the best possible setting for my connection chain.

I have an OPPO BDP-103 (not Darbee, but the QDEO edition) connected through a Yamaha Aventage RX-A3050 to a Panasonic PT-AE8000.

I know that HDMI 1 out on the Oppo is the QDEO output, and that HDMI 2 is not QDEO (and which is useful for sending DSD from SACDs since the QDEO does not support DSD pass through).

So I've got both outputs connected to my Aventage.

Both outputs, for all intents and purposes, work fine. However, when I fiddle with the HDMI Options on the Oppo, here's what I found out:

Setting 1:
    Oppo HDMI 1 (QDEO) settings:
    Color Space: AUTO or RGB Video Level or RGB PC Level or YCbCr 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:2:2
    Deep Color: 30 Bits

Result: Works fine

Setting 2:
    Color Space: AUTO or RGB Video Level or RGB PC Level or YCbCR 4:4:4
    Deep Color: 36 Bits

Result: No signal

Setting 3:
    Color Space: YCbCR 4:2:2
    Deep Color: 36 Bits

Result: Works fine

So basically, with the QDEO output if I set it to 30 Bits, I can use any color space and it'll work fine. If I set it to 36 Bits, I can use only YCbCR 4:2:2.

On the other hand, with the non-QDEO HDMI 2 output, I can basically set 30 bits or 36 bits against ANY color space and it'll work fine, including 36 BIT YCbCR 4:4:4.

My question is, which setting and output should I be using to squeeze every maximum image and color performance from my setup?

Will 36 Bits YCbCR 4:2:2 from the QDEO output be preferable to the 30 Bits YCbCR 4:4:4 from the non-QDEO output?

Or is 30 Bits and YCbCR 4:4:4 on the QDEO the best?

Any insight into this is appreciated. I've look at Panny's specs, but they don't really mention what native color space the projector uses. All they mention is x.v Color Space which seems to not be supported by the Oppo to begin with.

2. Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Best setting for DVD and HD Blu ray will most likely be 1080P 24hz 4:2:2 8 bit/ deap color off.

3. hishamk

hishamk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I've heard that the added bits from deep color do help with fractional accuracy when the QDEO is processing the signal - not sure how much of a difference it would make though.

4. Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Well it can depend of the display, as some displays might upsample as well, and the OPPO might do a better job at that.
    The best way to find out is looking at a gray ramp, see if there is any banding, normaly there is on all digital displays, as the gamma is manipulated, and that normaly give some rounding errors when calculating the correction.

Going from 8 to 12 bit dont give you more bit resolution, your limited by the media, the same with the croma signal.. upsampling to 4:4:4 normaly produces a high frequence croma peaking/ overshoot.. You might like the look of it, as it might make the image look slightly enhanced.

You can try check how your display handles croma with the croma multiburst pattern.