Deep Blue Sea Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Chris McEneany, 8th August 2010.
Actually far too accomplished to be hailed as simply a guilty pleasure, Renny Harlin's Deep Blue Sea is, nevertheless, an example of supreme popcorn entertainment. The primal fear of Jaws welded on to the heroics of Cliffhanger, the film is the proverbially clichéd adrenaline-rush that refuses to come up for air until the final credits begin to roll after a breathless and explosive climax. Anchored by a taut performance from the always-likeable Thomas Jane and his effortless chemistry with LL Cool J, the film surmounts the ineptitude of poor and embarrassing turns from Saffron Burrows and Samuel L. Jackson to become an impressive tour de force. Harlin knows that if he pauses for too long, his venture will sink faster than the doomed research facility, so he keeps applying the thumb-screws through a never-ending series of ever more heart-stopping ordeals and traumas. The fact that these sharks are smarter than the fools experimenting on them is a great slant on the old monster-runs-amok chestnut and, like all those other science-tampering-with-nature flicks, the moral warning is rammed home with such visceral intensity that a part of you actually can't help rooting for the big bad Makos!

Somewhat disappointingly, Warner only ports over the same extras from that very early DVD release, but they render the film with a terrifically vibrant and unmolested hi-def makeover that more than makes up for it. The audio is exciting and dynamic, if still a bit lacking when compared to more recent fare, but, overall, I'm sure fans of the film will have little to complain about.

Deep Blue Sea, then, comes out on Blu-ray and takes a great big bite out of the screen. Disposable fun it may be, but this was a movie that actually dared to break a few rules. Showing no respect for superstars was a shrewd move and provided the film with a very refreshing kick in the gills. Hardly art, but this is top-flight entertainment that drops you in at the deep end and literally throws you to the sharks.

Awesome stuff, Deep Blue Sea comes highly recommended.

Read the full review...

Thanks for the review.

This is one of my favorites from Renny Harlin.

Now looking foward to The Long Kiss Goodnight on BD:thumbsup:

Thanks for that, really good read.

I'll pick this up on blu if the price is right, one of my big guilty pleasure films.

I must concur about the huge animatronic shark, no way would I get in the water with that thing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom